Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba L675 BSOD & Hangs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cbrueckman

cbrueckman

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

My wife uses a Toshiba Satellite L675 laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium, Purchased new in 2009, HD replaced by BestBuy Geek Squad in 2011 OEM OS and programs reinstalled then.  Running Avast AV and Malwarebytes, which indicate no issues.  Using IE11 as browser.  Connect wirelessly via NetGear router.

She primarily uses it to check email (Juno), news and travel sites, play Facebook Farkle and Scrabble and Windows Solitaire and Hearts.  Infrequently uses Word.  Opens separate IE windows for Scrabble, Merriman-Webster dictionary and email.

She complains that Juno (her home page) takes so long to load, often several minutes.  While managing email, it often hangs after selecting a few messages for deletion.  Hangs may last for several minutes and have had to use Task Manager to force closure of IE.  Same experience with Farkle and Scrabble.  Sometimes closing her FB newsfeed, if open, seems to clear the hang.  Clearing IE cache and temporary files has not seemed to help

Also receiving a "Page failed to display" message when trying to open or refresh above pages.  "Fix connection" doesn't identify any issues.  Sometimes repeated refreshing of page seems to clear the issue, but most often have to close IE and re-open. 

She reports she has been receiving 1-2 BSOD per week.  Usually happens after she has had several instances of prolonged IE hang or force closures.  Mozilla is installed on the laptop, but would not open the few times we tried to use it as an alternative. 

I rarely use her laptop, but my observation is that it takes about five minutes from boot-up or restart to get to the desktop and several more before it connects with the router.  Starting IE does take a while to load her home page (Juno) and other pages also seem to take a long time.  I use a desktop, directly connected to the router and have also had a few "Page failed to display" issues, but rarely when she is experiencing them.

SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip + perfmon.zip files are attached

Spoiler information requested:

· OS - Windows 7 Home Premium
· x86 - x64 bit
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7 Home Premium
· OEM version (came pre-installed on system
· Age of system (hardware) 6 yrs overall but HD replaced in 2011
·  OS re-installed when HD was replaced in 2011

· CPU – AMD Turion II P520 dual core 2.30 GHz
· Video Card – ATI Mobility Radion HD 4200
·
· System Manufacturer  Toshiba
· Exact model number – L675-S7016

· Laptop

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

Hi cbrueckman ^_^,

The last BSOD as per the log files occurred on 11th November. Sadly, the dump files are not available because of CCleaner. It tends to delete all the dump files by default <_<.

Also, there are thousands of events generated in the event log of the below particular event -
Event[0]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: amdkmdag
  Date: 2015-11-21T10:52:38.249
  Event ID: 62464
  Task: DVD_OV
  Level: Information
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: Craig-NB
  Description: 
UVD Information
This particular event is related to the graphics driver according to the below link -
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/what-is-this-error-amdkmdag-62464/47462335-620d-4d3b-a943-0a99da5d4cc7?auth=1

And yes, the Facebook news feed sucks. It tends to freeze my system as well for a couple of seconds when it automatically updates the news feed. Oh boy, there are lots of curses involved when it happens :P

I would suggest you to create a thread in the Am I Infected forums below and get your system cleaned -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Since the system is not crashing very often, while waiting for the crash to happen, we could make sure that the system's performance can be improved by removing the items not required :)

Also, once the system crashes, please do not use CCleaner else it will delete the dump files.

Let us know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 cbrueckman

cbrueckman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:22 PM

Pranav,

Thank you.

I will make the change suggested concerning the amdkmdag event logs.  Should I disable/uninstall CCleaner?

I am currently running the recommended driver verifier.  It has run about 3 hours without producing any BSOD.

I will create a thread on "Am I Infected?" forum and let you know how things progress.

With respect to: "Since the system is not crashing very often, while waiting for the crash to happen, we could make sure that the system's performance can be improved by removing the items not required :)"
Which items are not required?

Edited by cbrueckman, 24 November 2015 - 04:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users