Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I create a .reg file to set the size of system restore?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JustComputers

JustComputers

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

Many malware programs adjust the system restore point to 50% as a 'joke' which takes up valuable space and makes the computer sluggish.  I've had a few set as high as 75%. 

I have an arsenal of registry files .reg that allow me to quickly apply fixes.  How do I create, or where can I get (yes I Googled it :) a .reg file that will set the system restore of C:\ to 10GB like it is in the default settings?

I operate in Win 7, 8, and 10 - I'm guessing that registry entry hasn't changed and the .reg file will apply to all systems.

Any help would be great.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Here you go boss.

Attached Files

#3 JustComputers

JustComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

Awesome, thank you.  I tested the .reg and it did not adjust the size even after reboot.

To clarify, is this .reg for 10GB or 10% of the hard drive size?  I was hoping for 10GB for windows default regardless of hard drive size.

If there's any way I can help in return, just ask.

Edited by JustComputers, 23 November 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#4 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

No problems your welcome.

If you have any problems with that key then this batch file will set it to 10GB exactly on any drive. Of Course run it as administrator.

Attached Files

Edited by sAyer, 23 November 2015 - 07:20 PM.

#5 JustComputers

JustComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

Excellent!!  That's exactly what I needed and it works perfectly.  My arsenal has increased by the power of one [wringing hands together with an evil smirk].  Oh the sheer power I now wield.

Thank you for making that task simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users