Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Write a Program to Copy Sections of a Web Page

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beaujay

beaujay

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:14 PM

I don't know anything about coding. Is it possible to write this program I dreamed up? If so, what language should it be written in? What are some good programmer sites where I might find someone to do the job?

MANUAL SETUP

In the search box of www.brainyquote.com, enter an AUTHOR NAME (e.g. Marilyn Monroe), <enter>

PROGRAM

1. copy all QUOTES and the AUTHOR NAME (on brainyquote.com pages, each QUOTE is immediately followed by the AUTHOR NAME)

2. paste the QUOTES/AUTHOR NAME in a .txt file named AUTHOR NAME.TXT (e.g. marilyn monroe.txt) with an empty paragraph separating each QUOTE/AUTHOR NAME

3. follow the “Next” link at bottom of page and repeat steps 1 and 2

4. if the “Next” link is greyed-out, END PROGRAM

I run Win7 64-bit

Thanks!

Edited by beaujay, 23 November 2015 - 01:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:16 AM

www.freelancer.com has a number of programmers who'll do it on the cheap. 

You could learn how to do it yourself however.  You would probably use Python, and just doing a quick google search you could use a framework using Scrapy. 

If you really want it still I might be interested in taking the job, feel free to PM me.

#3 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,513 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:57 AM

This would be what's referred to as a bot, or "page scraper". There's several tools out there for Python and PHP most commonly, some for Java and other languages if you need more "to the metal". I've done this before with PHP, it sounds fairly straight-forward. You can also look at this Chrome extension to get started.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#4 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

This can be done in about 10 minutes or so in any .NET language. Perhaps less time than that.

Edited by AceInfinity, 09 January 2016 - 10:13 PM.

mvp.png
Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users