Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driveimagexml problems disc to disc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tasher2811

tasher2811

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

I downloaded driveimagexml and started the action of cloning a WD 2 Tb external hard drive nearly full of movies to a new hard drive with same specs. 72 hours later there is only 11% completion and the "time remaining" notice shows 282+ hours remaining...and the time remaining counter is actually increasing in time, not decreasing. The drive to drive copy seems to be stuck on "removing target partition" and I'm not sure if something with my pc (Windows 10) is slowing it down. I'm wondering if I can just cancel the process without adversely affecting the hard drive with my movies on it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:45 AM

I just now saw this.  I've been cloning with Acronis True Image and Macrium Reflect Pro.  While not familiar with driveimagexml, I am familiar with both success and failure with cloning.  My wild guess is that "removing target partition" refers to the program beginning to attempt to get started on converting the target HD into the same exact partition specs as the source HD.  My Acronis and Macrium retort a very similar message.  Have you been able to successfully clone since your opening post?  If not, we can together find possible solutions.

And, yes, you are correct, you can terminate any clone [or image] process at any time without affecting the source HD. However, the target HD might have been affected -- often leading to a quick reFormat of the target HD.

Edited by RolandJS, 04 December 2015 - 06:46 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users