Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boots to blinking underscore....bad mobo?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:47 AM

As the title says, PC boots to a blinking underscore. No BIOS screen. No USB detection, so can't access BIOS. I've changed CMOS battery, removed HDD. No change.

Its a Dell XPS 400 that originally ran XP. Has been upgraded to 32 bit Windows 7 and has run fine for over a year since the upgrade.

The initial issue was a frozen boot. The user left it running over the weekend (in-house PC, user has always left PC on 24/7) and it was at the Startup Repair/Normal option screen this morning. I rebooted and it went to the blinking dash, rebooted again and it showed the BIOS prompt, but froze before all the text appeared. Rebooted again and ever since has gone straight to the blinking dash.

The HDD seems to be ok, I don't have a proper testing PC at the moment.

Would this be a motherboard issue? RAM? If so, what would cause it?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:59 AM

Pull the hard drive and all but one stick of RAM. Remove any external attached devices except the keyboard. Does it boot to the BIOS screen? If not then change to a different RAM slot. If that does not work then substitute a different RAM stick and try all RAM slots again.

Tapping F12 on a Dell at boot will bring up a Diagnostic Menu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users