Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD External HDD is corrupted and unreadable

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nonic

Nonic

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:15 AM

Hi

I have a WD My Book Essential Edition 320GB external hdd that I use to back peronal files on my Windows XP Home Edition desktop PC. Speccy snapshot is at http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MjpXHJMYc1FSGzUk1M1oZu2

Although I purchased the WD external hdd in 2009, it has very little use as I only ever use it to backup the XP computer .

When I tried to perform a backup recently I received an error message "E:\  is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable". Copy attached.

The external hdd is shown correctly in Device Manager and in My Computer. However, when viewed in Disk Management the File System is now blank whereas it used to be NTFS.

I have connected the external hdd into a friends desk top PC with Windows Vista OS and it opened up perfectly showing all the backup files, photos etc. My assumption at that point was a problem existed with my XP Home Edition PC.

After I reconnected the external hdd back to my PC I ran the Chkdsk utility and 4 of the 5 stages completed OK. However, stage 5 reported there was insufficient disk space to fix all the [111297] bad clusters. Copy of report attached.

What I would really appreciate is help determining: 

is the problem  with my XP Home Edition PC

or with the external HDD

or with both ??

Any thoughts / advice would be welcome.

Thank you

Laurence

Attached Files

Lead Me Not Into Temptation.....I Can Find the Way Myself !!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

The first thing I would do is pull the data off the drive using your friends computer. I would then run a WD diagnostic on the drive to see if it is failing.

#3 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hi

Thank you for your reply and advice. I have copied the data that I want to keep on the external hdd to my laptop. I also used the link you provided to download and run the WD Diagnostic Tool [Quick Test].

In the attached snap shot the external hdd has passed the SMART test but further down it says the test did not complete !!!

Can you interpret what the informatiom means please ?

Also, now that I have moved the required data to my laptop, will it help restore the funtionality of the externall hdd if I reformat it ?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you

Attached Files

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:32 PM

Status code 07 indicates a failing drive. If the drive is under warranty RMA it. It may also be due to a bad USB cord or bad USB bridge card in the enclosure. You could try a new USB cable and rerun the test.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=11711

#5 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:02 AM

G'Day John C_21

I purchased the drive in 2009 so nfortunately it is no longer under warranty - but thanks for the thought about the RMA path.

Anyway, I have been able to swap out the USB cable and rerun the WD test as you suggested. The result was the same i.e. Status code 07.

Tomorrow I hope to be able to take the external HDD to my friends and run the WD test while the drive is connected to his Windows Vista machine. I will post the outcome.

Thanks for your advice to date

Laurence

#6 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:41 PM

G'Day John C_21

Well i have been to my friends place and connected my troublesome WD external hdd to his Windows Vista desktop PC. His PC will still recognise my external hdd and I can open the files. A copy of the WD Data Lifeguard Tool was downloaded and installed on his PC. We ran the Quick Test and it failed with the same resulta as on my XP Home Edition PC  i.e. Status code 07 Error.

So , I am of the opinion the external hdd is beyond repair and a replacement is required.

However, I find it puzzling that his PC will provide open the external hdd and I can access the stored data while my PC will not allow me to do so.

Just out of curiosity if you or any other reader have an explanation for this situation I would really like to know. 

Thank you

Laurence

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

Sorry for the late reply. It's possible there are multiple sector errors the diagnostic software finds. Please Download and install Gsmartcontrol. Do a short test and post the results. Under the Attributes tab look for any red or pink rows.

gsmartcontrol-2.png

info_failing.png

#8 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:05 AM

Hi John C_21

Thank you for getting back to me. GSmartControl has been downloaded and installed on my Windows XP Home Edition desktop PC. Please find attached a screen shot of the result of the Short Self-test. There are no red rows [which I assume is good] but there is one row in pink. I look forward to your advice in relation to the report.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Laurence

PS do you want me to take the WD external hdd over to my friends tomorrow and run the test again while the drive is connected to his Windows Vista PC  ??

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

That drive is definitely in a start of failure. I would pull all your data as soon as possible. Your Pending Sector Count is very high. These are sectors that cannot be read and are waiting to be reallocated. Notice you have no reallocated sectors listed so these Pending Sectors most likely will never be read correctly.

The Raw Read rate is high but that can vary between manufacturers. 

Your Spin Up time is looking bad also. 

According to the image you have over 37000 hours on the drive which is 4 years running 24/7. (powered on state)

See the attributes of SMART here.

What you can do is pull the data from the drive. Then do a full format. Not a Quick Format on the external drive.

You can do a full format from the diskpart command line.

At an elevated command prompt (admin account in XP. In Vista type CMD in the search box and right click Run As Administrator.

Type the following commands

diskpart

list disk

select disk X          X is the number associated with your external drive. Make sure you pick the correct disk because no data will be recoverable

clean all                this will zero the drive

create partition primary

format fs=ntfs       this will take a bit. When you see the diskpart prompt again then type exit.

After the format run WD again. If it passes you can use the drive but you need to have the data backed up to another device or the cloud if it is important to you. You can also use the drive for storing only data you can afford to lose and easily downloaded again.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 November 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#10 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 02:58 AM

Hi John C_21

I am sorry for the delay in acknowledging your reply.

Thank you for your analysys of the WD report and detailed response.

Disappointing as it may be, I totally accept the drive is in a state of failure.

My next move is to purchase a new external HDD in order to create a complete and new backup of all data [including a system image] of my XP Home Edition desktop PC.

I feel I need to do this before formatting the defective external hdd while it is connected to my XP machine. I have never formatting anything before and I am a little aprehensive about making a mistake [i.e. selecting the wrong drive] and losing everything on the hdd of my PC including the operating system.

As you have stated, even if reformatting the WD external drive is successful it cannot be relied on to store personal information etc. so it will eventually be disposed of.

So, a new external hdd is required either way. My dilema is whether to buy a 2.5" USB HDD or another 3.5" Desk Top HDD with separate power pack.  No doubt there are pro's and con's for both.

If you don't mind me asking, your thoughts/advice on which way to go would be appreciated.

When I have purchased a new external hdd and backed up my PC, i will follow your instructions and do a full format from the diskpart command lines provided, then run the WD test again.

Thank you for the link to the known ATA S.M.A.R.T. attributes website. The explanation / description or the many attributes were very interesting and well presented.

Please accept my sincere appreciation for your help and sharing your knowage.

Laurence

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

Choosing a 2.5 vs 3.5 drive depends on your needs and preferences. Either way, I would purchase a bare drive and enclosure separately. The new portable drives can have the USB bridge card and port as a integrated part of the drive printed circuit board. If the port breaks, though unlikely if careful attaching and removing the cable, it can be a problem recovering your data. 

If you do not plan on moving the drive much then I would suggest getting a 3.5 drive and a good powered enclosure. 

See this page on the problem of getting your data on a drive with an integrated port.

http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010/05/05/how-to-connect-and-recover-usb-only-western-digital-drives-with-hd-doctor-suite/

I also recommend you backup your important data to at least one other location even if it is to the cloud.

Edit: Here is another issue with the port breaking on a WD essentials drive. This is a large drive but the problem is encryption.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Temporary+repairing+Western+Digital+Essentials+HD+de-soldered+USB+connector/14073

The bare WD drives are fine though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 December 2015 - 08:48 AM.

#12 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

Hello JohnC_21

I apologise for taking so long to acknowledge your last post. I have been away from home since last Thursday and only caught up with my emails yesterday.

Your recommendation to use a 3.5 inch powered enclosure together with a bare 3.5 inch drive is brilliant.

Prior to your last post, I would never have thought such a thing was possible. However, I am now keen to "have a go" at assembling my own external hard drive unit once I have purchased the enclosure and bare drive.

Yesterday, I search of the internet for the required components and was somewhat overwhelmed by the range of enclosures and drives that are available online.

Rather than take the risk of ordering components on-line and making a mistake I think it best if I go to the nearest computer shop [67 km away] and ask for their assistance in selecting the components most appropriate for my needs.

Unfortunately, due to family commitments and the busy Christmas holiday season here in Australia I make not get to do this until early in the New Year.

However, I will most certainly follow your advice and recommendation and will post back when I have completed the task.

Once again, thank you for all your advice and assistance. I did not know there was so much to learn about external hard drives but it has all been a very interesting experience.

Laurence

#13 Nonic

Nonic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Hello JohnC_21

Following a busy period at Christmas & the New Year, I have purchased an Sarotech external enclosure and a 3.5" Samsung bare hard drive.

The enclosure came with all the necessary cables etc. i.e  power cord, USB cable. It was a simple matter to remove the four [4] screws from the cover in order to insert the HDD and make the appropriate connections within the enclosure.

The 3.5" Samsung hard drive is the same capacity as the HDD in my XP desktop PC

After looking inside the failing WD external hard drive I can fully appreciate your comments regarding the USB bridge card and port being a integrated part of the drive printed circuit board.

The advantages of having a bare hard drive and an enclosure are now obvious as is the value of your advice.

Thank you again for sharing your expert knowledge.

Laurence

#14 Leontrump

Leontrump

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

You can try this best tool which aided me in the days of data loss trouble due to corruption of external HD. With this i have recovered all my data easily. http://bnpna.org/software-for-mac-corrupted-external-hard-drive-recovery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users