Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTML5/Flash in FF: Consistent playblack w/o high resource impact

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ChuckPasadena

ChuckPasadena

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

I hope someone with more some actual experience can help me here.

Ever since FF made "Ask to Activate" the default setting for Flash and YouTube making HTML5 their default media player (and the subsequent addition of new extensions to reverse those changes)  I've been trying to find out everything I could about both to improve my web browsing experience as much as possible.  This recently became mire important as the minor hiccups I'd experienced after upgrading my OS to Win10 seem to have gathered steam and become much worse with the recent upgrade to Firefox 42.0 things seem to have gotten even worse. Nowhere near the horrendous problems I had with Flash video when Win8.1 was my OS.

While I understand the reasons behind the push to make HTML5 the web standard for video (and agree that it's the better choice, long term) my issues are that I'm browsing in the present. If they could wave a wand and make Flash obsolete I'd gladly uninstall Flash on every system I use but unfortunately It seems that a full commitment to HTML5 means foregoing some things yet any use of Flash simply delays HTML5 from providing a safer way to view videos online.

I'm running FF42.0 on my Win10 laptop with all plugin versions current.

There seem to people firmly committed to either one as the better all around default for video yet there's no way to get a full experience without using both (albeit one only for specific reasons) and there are several plugins to convert each of them into the other and ones that control both for each page. My results using various plugins haven't been useful as I'm never 100% sure for what's being used on each tab besides the current one and sometimes I've forgotten even that.

I'm more concerned with a consistent level of playback and the stability of FF than the overall video quality, and I'm always looking to either use my laptop's resources more efficiently and with the least impact in most areas with video I realize efficiency has to give way to acceptable levels of use.

Hopefully someone with more expertise in both HTML5 and Java can at least point me in the right direction to where I'm comfortable enough with either as a "default for now" that I can tweak it to make the best use of the hardware running on the small laptop I use for 90% of my time online.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users