Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Reader Issue(s) under Windows 7 Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:20 PM

The following occurred on an HP laptop running Windows 7 Professional, and I find it quite peculiar and can't figure out what's going on nor how to fix it.

The machine had Adobe Reader XI installed on it and an attempt was made to update it to Adobe Reader DC.  I've done this on multiple machines as an "install over" with zero issues.  Things were going along swimmingly and even the desktop icon had been switched then when the install was nearly finished it failed.

After this there was no record of Adobe Reader in Control Panel->Programs and Features at all (as I was intending to force an uninstall at this point).

When I attempted to install Adobe Reader DC again it failed quickly saying that a more recent version was installed, which leaves me with nothing from Adobe for reading PDFs.  This would not be a huge problem under normal circumstances, but the laptop is used by someone who's blind, in conjunction with the JAWS software, and it only plays well and reliably with Adobe Reader.

I even tried rolling the machine back to a Restore Point from several days ago.  That didn't help either.  It looked like Adobe Reader XI had been restored but now when one attempts to open a PDF document an "Unknown Software" message is presented.

Any guidance on this issue would be appreciated.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:09 PM

Have you tried going to the control panel and selecting default programs -> set your default programs -> Find Adobe Reader in the list and set it for all default formats it supports ?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

The problem being that it appears that the system doesn't even recognize the existence of Adobe Reader anymore.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

I see. Try running this tool and then do a fresh install. Good Luck.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 9,008 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

Thank you very much for this pointer.  If a normal full uninstall/reinstall cycle won't work after doing the system restore this will be the next course of action.

It seems that virtually every piece of software under the sun can have rare instances of "I didn't uninstall right," that require just these sorts of tools.  Heaven knows that all the antivirus programs have these.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:50 PM

I installed a couple of older versions of adobe this that the other as place-holders, eventually, I can install the latest versions.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users