Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preconfigured Virtual Images Of Linux Distros

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

We offer open-source (Linux/Unix) virtual machines (VDIs) for VirtualBox, we install and make them ready-to-use VirtualBox images for you. From here you can download and attach the VDI image to your VirtualBox and use it. We offer images for both architectures 32bit and 64bit, you can download for free for both architectures. At the moment we have plans to offer you 30+ Linux/Unix distributions, we may add more to our list in near future, you can also send us suggestions if we are missing any popular distribution from our list. You can check FAQs for Credentials(Username & Password) for VDI images. Here you can follow the guide how to attach/configure VDI image with VirtualBox. We do not install ‘Guest Additions’ in the OS or add any kind of stuff, read our privacy policy.

VirtualBox is the most easiest way to run secondary OS on your primary operating system, If your hardware doesn’t allow you to install any other operating system then VirtualBox comes in hand. It is a free and powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product available for most of the operating systems such as Linux, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Solaris and ported version for FreeBSD. Read wiki about VirtualBox.

VirtualBox Images

http://www.osboxes.org/virtualbox-images/

VMware Images

http://www.osboxes.org/vmware-images/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:46 AM

Very handy for learning linux before installing it for real, though using a actual installer and learning partitioning are encouraged.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

@NickAu: Great resource from noobslab folks. Using some of their images due to installation laziness (even when I agree with MadmanRB).

Similar resources (from my bookmarks):

...and at some extend https://www.turnkeylinux.org/

#4 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

While I agree that running Linux in a VM is a great way to play with Linux, I don't understand the point of this. Is it different from downloading a regular iso and installing it in a VM? I'm currently running Mint Rafaela in VMware, installed the old-fashioned way. Works great, BTW.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:36 PM

While I agree that running Linux in a VM is a great way to play with Linux, I don't understand the point of this. Is it different from downloading a regular iso and installing it in a VM? I'm currently running Mint Rafaela in VMware, installed the old-fashioned way. Works great, BTW.

Well there is no partitioning involved, advantageous to just jumping in to learning the system

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

I didn't have to partition. I just told VMware how much space and how much RAM to give Mint, and I was good to go.

#7 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

With preconfigured virtual images you don't need to do partitions nor any other part of the installation process. You go right to the desktop.

It's faster than downloading and installing the ISO.

The virtual images use to be configured with english language by default, something to have in mind for non-english speakers.

Is a good way to have a test environment to play with.

Another use of it is to create your own preconfigured image (with your preferred software and customization) and share it with others to let them try how much they like it.  :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users