Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script to list all installed updates?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sparklestar

sparklestar

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

How do I make a script to list all installed updates? I have searched online for this and found somewhat confusing information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

This for a text file (from a command prompt)

wmic qfe list brief /format:texttablewsys > "%USERPROFILE%\hotfix.txt"

or this for a html

wmic qfe list brief /format:htable > "%USERPROFILE%\hotfix.html"

This will put the file in your home directory, so feel free to change the output path to wherever you like, if you like.

TsVk!

#3 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

Thanks so much, that's great.

I notice in control panel, in installed updates it shows a few more items than the script shows though. They are .NET Framework items in I guess their own separate category.

Can they easily be added to the script?

#4 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Why make a script to list all Installed updates?  If you go to Windows Update and click on "View Update History" then the history is right there for you to see.  

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

.NET Framework updates are actually installations, rather than being part of the OS per se.

To get installed applications you'd need to use a Powershell script, or what I use is PSInfo from the PSTools package from Sysinternals. It can be quite handy to put the PSTools in their own directory in the root directory and then add their folder to the system path, for ease of use.

Why make a script to list all Installed updates?  If you go to Windows Update and click on "View Update History" then the history is right there for you to see.  

Much easier to understand, search and utilise IME.

:busy:

Edited by TsVk!, 23 November 2015 - 05:30 PM.

#6 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

@dudeage: If you clear the update cache, which sometimes you need to do to solve problems, such as the windows update notification icon no longer showing up if you have it set to check, or other update install problems, then that update history will no longer be there.

Also, I have found recently that even though Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates  will list all of the updates in a huge long list, if you try to search for a specific installed update, sometimes it will say that it is not installed, but if you actually look through the list manually, it's installed! Therefore I need this script.

Edited by sparklestar, 23 November 2015 - 05:30 PM.

#7 sparklestar

sparklestar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

Ok, thanks TsVk. I think I will just look at .NET updates manually in the control panel, which is easy enough to do since there is only a small handful of them.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

You're welcome. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users