Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fraudulent PM Spam Sent To Some Members

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:33 PM

This announcement is to let everyone know Bleeping Computer is addressing PM spam that some of you may have received.

It may look something like this:

Hi

You have been to get VIP status at www.bleepingcomputer.com forever absolutly FREE!

To claim yuor VIP status please visit

The link embedded in the quote message above is deactivated. If you receive such a PM do not visit the link. It is intended to steal log in credentials.

Due to the PM Spam issue we have temporarily suspended all member PM activity. Once we have resolved the PM Spam issue we will resume the ability for the members to send PM's We apologize for the temporary inconvenience.

Just for additional information in no way has Bleeping Computer been hacked or compromised. This was a spam PM message blast to trick people into revealing their site login information.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

Just a heads up that the PM feature is disabled till tomorrow when an issue will be resolved that will help against these types of attacks in the future.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

The PM system is now working again for Members.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

Thanks folks for the quick response - I have let Linux Members know at Cheesemakers

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,613 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Thanks folks for the quick response - I have let Linux Members know at Cheesemakers

:wizardball: Wizard

Thank you for trying to spread the word, but I do not think topic is meant to be used for announcements like that.

#6 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:55 PM

What is PM?

#7 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:27 PM

Private Message - at the top of the page, beside your username, the envelope to the left.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

When someone sends you a private message the envelope icon will have a number next to it which indicates how many new PM's you have. Click the icon to view your messages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users