Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stretching the desktop across both HDMI and VGA monitors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Extraxi

Extraxi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:19 PM

Greetings, fountains of technical knowledge!

A small foreword: This is my first post here and I apologize for any ignorant mistakes I may have made.

The goal: I am currently attempting to stretch the desktop on an HP Compaq dc5850 Small Form Factor

across two displays, one brand-new Dell HD monitor and an older analog monitor manufactured by Acer, if

my memory serves. 

The Compaq uses a Windows XP Professional OS. The Dell uses an HDMI and the Acer a VGA, naturally,

and both are connected to a new Gigabyte GT 610 GPU.

Please note: The Acer is permanently fixed to a swinging arm connected to a dental examination chair.

Replacing it is not an option.

The problem: The GPU supports both ports and both monitors, but only up to a certain resolution. This would

be fine, except I can only clone the display, not extend it, across the monitors.

The option for extending the desktop simply doesn't appear in the set-up window, be it Nvidia's Control Panel

or Windows'.

I fear that I may be demanding too much from the OS. Even if the desktop could be extended, losing the

advantage of a higher resolution (because the older monitor does not support it) would simply render the Dell

pointless.

The questions:

Is it possible to extend the display?

Is it possible to operate two separate monitors at different resolutions?

- - -

If more information is required, I'll get it posted ASAP.

Thank you for any and all help and advice, I greatly appreciate it. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 22 November 2015 - 06:23 PM.
Corrections made and moved from Win XP to 'External Hardware'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

Your attempts will only frustrate you.  The monitor that has the resolution at its maximum but is lower in resolution than the HDMI unit.  The next approach would be to expand the resolution on the HP if it isn't already.  The Acer unit is limited by the VGA is fed by.  If the Acer unit won't go match the Dell unit, it needs to be replaced.  I had the same problem with a 21 inch widescreen monitor that wouldn't go beyond 900 by 1440.  When it died, the 22 inch replacement would do 1920 by 1080 so the resolution matched with the big 47 inch HDMI fed  HDTV. 

#3 Extraxi

Extraxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:09 PM

Your attempts will only frustrate you.  The monitor that has the resolution at its maximum but is lower in resolution than the HDMI unit.  The next approach would be to expand the resolution on the HP if it isn't already.  The Acer unit is limited by the VGA is fed by.  If the Acer unit won't go match the Dell unit, it needs to be replaced.  I had the same problem with a 21 inch widescreen monitor that wouldn't go beyond 900 by 1440.  When it died, the 22 inch replacement would do 1920 by 1080 so the resolution matched with the big 47 inch HDMI fed  HDTV. 

Thanks for the input. It seems, however, that nVidia is more clever than I gave it credit for:

Through it's "Desktop Management", I was able to select the option of allowing both screens to use their respective maximum resolutions.

All that was needed afterwards was adjusting the resolutions through Windows' Control Panel, stretch the main display, and job done!

Both displays now operate together at their best quality and in beautiful harmony.  :lol:

Edited by Extraxi, 04 December 2015 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users