Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help and support for Vista from within Vista.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:52 PM

I recently reinstalled Vista from some recovery discs I bought. Vista Home SP1.

I was able to install the 98 updates ok but for 2, I will deal with that later Maybe.

Vista comes with IE7 and the IE 9 update from within Vista is 64bit no other option available. It will not install on a 32bit system.

I thought no problem I will go to Microsoft well Microsoft itself will not allow a connection from IE7.

So I went there thru 10 and those pages do not exist for me anymore. No stuff available for older OS's anymore.

Vista I believe is still supported but Microsoft seems to have jumped the gun a little.

I know there are those that will site legal reason why this can't be but come on. A company as big as Microsoft is really worried about a fine!  They probably spend a million dollars a year just on toilet paper corporation wide.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:03 PM

I had to reinstall myself from SP1.  You need to do all the updates from Windows update, and then It will eventually let you install SP2. IE9 is outdated and doesn't work on many websites, but once your system is up to date you should be able to install IE9 32bit. I would recommend using chrome on Vista in any case, as you can't upgrade to IE10 or 11 with Vista.  We are the orphans of the OS world...7 is vista, but microsoft won't admit that.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:35 PM

Actually I was pretty lucky this was in the plans for a year or more.  Sp2 I had already on a thumb drive but the machine was badly infected.  When I was getting ready and GOT sp2 I looked for IE 9 but could not find it or it would have been on that drive.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users