Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Pro Won't Activate

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wudevr

wudevr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

My PC was running Windows 7 Ultimate and I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10.
Unfortunately, my PC was in a perpetual "Reboot to finish installing updates" state, so I was unable to perform the upgrade.
I did some research and determined that my Windows 7 Ultimate key (which I legitimately purchased) should allow me to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. So because I could not upgrade due to the 'updates reboot' issue, I decided to do a clean install. I formatted a USB stick and created Windows 10 Pro installation media using the MS Media Creation Tool. During the install it prompted me for a license key. I entered my Win 7 Ultimate license key, but it was rejected. I now have Windows 10 installed, but it's not activated. What should I do now? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

You cannot use Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 when you are doing clean install your not upgrading to Windows 10.

Posted Image

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

You cannot use Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 when you are doing clean install your not upgrading to Windows 10.

That depends on what build of Windows 10 you are using for the install.  The most recent build 10586/Update 1511/Fall Update Version, which was available via the Media Creation Tool for a few days before being pulled either last night or the night before, had been changed to allow you to do a clean install using a Win7 or Win8 product key.

That being said, given the recent turmoil, I would try calling or e-mailing Microsoft Technical Support on this one.  Too much is in a state of flux as far as anyone being able to give an answer that they know will work.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:37 PM

One thing you can do is reinstall the Windows 7 Ultimate. Then download and install Windows 10. That will allow the FREE upgrade.

Another is to purchase Windows 10

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

That depends on what build of Windows 10 you are using for the install.  The most recent build 10586/Update 1511/Fall Update Version, which was available via the Media Creation Tool for a few days before being pulled either last night or the night before, had been changed to allow you to do a clean install using a Win7 or Win8 product key.

That being said, given the recent turmoil, I would try calling or e-mailing Microsoft Technical Support on this one.  Too much is in a state of flux as far as anyone being able to give an answer that they know will work.

I never heard such a think why would Microsoft allow anybody to clean install using there previous operating systems product key i thing your confusing clean install with upgrade process.

Posted Image

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

I never heard such a think why would Microsoft allow anybody to clean install using there previous operating systems product key i thing your confusing clean install with upgrade process.

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9722/windows-10-upgrade-now-works-windows-7-8-keys

Since Microsoft has now pulled Threshold 2 using the MCT the above is no longer valid. But, it was available for a few days as britecguy posted. You could do a clean install with only your Windows 7 or 8 key.

#7 wudevr

wudevr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

To answer your question. I'm running build 10240.

I ended up calling MS Support.

They called me back and ended doing a Remote Assistance session.

Within a few minutes the issue was resolved and my Windows 10 Pro is now activated!

Thanks again for your help

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:48 PM

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9722/windows-10-upgrade-now-works-windows-7-8-keys

Since Microsoft has now pulled Threshold 2 using the MCT the above is no longer valid. But, it was available for a few days as britecguy posted. You could do a clean install with only your Windows 7 or 8 key.

Thanks JohnC_21 for the link well now i know why i have no idea this was possible.

Posted Image

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

Thank you all for your responses.
To answer your question. I'm running build 10240.
I ended up calling MS Support.
They called me back and ended doing a Remote Assistance session.
Within a few minutes the issue was resolved and my Windows 10 Pro is now activated!
Thanks again for your help

Glad to know your issue has been resolved.

Posted Image

#10 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:06 AM

Fortunately, if you're running Windows 7 or 8, and you really want to use your free Windows 10 licence key to perform a clean installation rather than upgrade, there is a solution.

It's pretty convoluted, but it works. First, you need to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10.

You can do this via Windows Update, or if Windows Update isn't playing ball you can use the direct download tool: English/American/German/French/Italian/Dutch. If you use the download tool, make sure you select "Upgrade this PC now." It goes without saying that, before you install any new operating system, you should back up any important data beforehand.

Once the upgrade has completed, make sure you've been activated by Microsoft.

Open up the new Settings app, then head to Update & Security, Activation.

Also note down what version of Windows 10 you have (Home, Pro). Enlarge / This is what it looks like if your copy of Windows 10 is activated. If you haven't yet been activated, you can try forcing it via command prompt: run cmd.exe as an administrator, then type slmgr.vbs /ato. You may need to try a few times, as the activation servers were being hit quite hard. This first step will convert your current Windows 7/8 key into a Windows 10 key.

Now, proceed with a clean installation of Windows 10 (select "Custom: Install Windows only" when prompted.) When it asks you for a product key, click Skip. If it asks you multiple times, just keep hitting Skip.

Once you've installed Windows 10, it should activate normally. Again, you might need to manually slam the servers using slmgr.vbs /ato.

You have a clean installation of Windows 10.

Mod Edit :-  The full article can be found here on 'Ars Technica UK' by Sebastian Anthony -

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/07/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-from-windows-7-and-8/

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 24 November 2015 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users