Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello this is Microsoft can I have all your information

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

I got one of these calls the other day and asked for their phone number so I could check to see if they were legit and indeed M.S..  The Indian woman on the phone did not want to give it to me but I kept on insisting.  She eventually gave it to me and I did  quick search and it was a scam phone number from S.C. U.S. and I said "you are a scammer and not M.S." she hung up lol.  I reported this to M.S. and they came back with some Canned Email that did not match what I was reporting to them.  I wonder if they even care?  Here it is:

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Customer Service.

We appreciate that you took the time to notify us of your concern. As you may have guessed, the message you received is a hoax and should be deleted. This type of email is known as a phishing scam or Advance Fee Fraud where scammers intend to trick victims into paying up-front fees with the false promise of sending a large sum of money later.

Unfortunately, Microsoft and other large companies are often targeted by these scam artists. Largely as a result of customers like you, Microsoft is aware of this issue and working to improve online safety and to put the spammers and scammers out of business through:
- Legislation, Public Policy, and Enforcement
- Education and Awareness
- Industry Collaboration

To see additional information on the steps Microsoft is taking to promote online safety, please visit:

For more information on steps you can take to protect yourself, please visit:

Please note this is an unmonitored alias. If you have further questions for customer service please contact us by Email:  https://support.microsoft.com/contactus/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1208&ws=hoaxautoreply  

Thank you,
Microsoft Customer Service

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for this post. Very valuble information for all.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,841 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

It looks like the next round of the Microsoft Impersonation Ransomware Scam is starting again.

There was a cycle that targeted the area I live in about a year ago.

There is no legitimate IT company - not one - that will call you asking to gain access to your computer and/or all sorts of personal information "out of thin air," ever.  If you haven't initiated a technical support call that has a call-back scheduled with you then you should never respond to any request from anyone making a cold call.

I'm posting the above not because I think that either of the prior posters would willingly offer up information, but so others who may be neophytes to these sorts of scams will be better able to recognize what's happening and just hang up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:37 PM

Yes you have two choices - either hang up on them or, if you have the time, act the daft idiot and string them along. Perhaps the funniest one I have had was the day one of them caught me in the middle of trying to fix some important work that had gone pear shaped, consequently I was not in a receptive mood.

Him -  'This is so and so from Microsoft . . .'

Me - 'F* off', phone down.

30 seconds later the phone went again, and, on picking it up,

Him - 'F* off yourself'

Obviously he was having a bad day as well. Teach me to be more courteous.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:49 PM

Yes you have two choices - either hang up on them or, if you have the time, act the daft idiot and string them along

I let them into Ubuntu once in VM after stringing them along for about 20 minutes on the phone, " oh wow " I said " My pc is acting strangely and it is slow, What's that you say? You scanned my PC and found all these errors? And I could be hacked? Can you please help me fix this? "  They went on to explain how Microsoft looks after its customers and that I qualify for some VIP plan costing $299 AUD, For that they would remote access my PC on a regular basis to run updates and fix any issues. I was so exited that finally somebody was going to help me with this electronic gizmo, where do I sign up?

That is good says the rep," Is your PC on now?" I I replies with Yes. Good sir first thing I need is an email address so I can send some software that needs to be installed so I can log into your PC, Then I will run some tests and show you where the viruses and corrupt files are. For the next 10 or so minutes I messed around with not knowing how to download an attachment, When I did download it I couldn't run it because nothing happens when I click it, Then he explained to me the file was zipped and how to unzip it using win rar, I really didn't get it all so the guy kindly sent me an unzipped copy of Team viewer. Then we had to go thru the process of giving him the log in numbers, Being an old short sighted man with the wrong glasses I messed up giving him the right log in several times, All the while saying " sorry for wasting your time because PC's are just hard and I don’t understand all this jargon " 

The lovely man at Microsoft was so kind understanding and patient with me, Constantly reassuring  me that its OK he deals with new PC users everyday and totally understands my situation, He was so consoling and trying to explain things to me in simple terms that  it took him over 2 minutes to realise that he was not looking at a Windows Operating system, That's when he became shall we say rather upset with me, and hung up.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

Yeah guys, I kept her on the phone for as long as possible because I was not in a hurry and wanted to waste her time as much as possible lol.  I asked from the start politely "you are a scammer aren't you?" lol and she played as she was confused saying no, no, lol.  I was polite and kept asking for a phone number, can't believe she gave it to me.  I did a quick search and said to her, you are a scammer, this is not a M.S. Number! lol and she quickly hung up.

Just so you guys know, they call my house all the time, my mother talks to them and keeps telling them we don't have any M.S. computers just to get rid of them, but they keep calling.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

I finally got one of these MS calls about 2 weeks ago and will synopsize.. 'You have a very bad virus!'
I strung him along, then said 'There's only one problem.. we don't have a computer (lie) but just a first generation iPad. They don't get infected, do they?'
'Oh, yes, absolutely!' and so on.
I informed him it has no apps, and a remote assistance wouldn't work, would it?
He was kind of stumped but still wasn't giving up. I finally had to laugh and told him I'd been stringing him all along. Then in his heavy Indian accent he yelled, "You baastaad!"

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,476 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

LOL! that's the way to handle it, maybe they will give up if we mess with them enough.  The best thing to do is waste as much of their time as possible so they have less time to Con/Scam other more vulnerable folks.  There are many older folks that fall prey to these things every day, and that is why these people are still making phone calls, that's just sad.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users