Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS XP UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME... PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 4822

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

My mom was still using an old windows xp computer because she doesn't really care what she uses as long as she can get on facebook... anyways... I tried helping her by booting up slacko puppy linux from a flash drive... (not installing the puppy linux, just booted from USB) and when i disconnected from Puppy Linux and tried to go back to normal Windows XP... I got the Unmountable_boot_Volume BSOD ERROR... I tried using a windows xp recovery console iso (the computer doesn't have a cd/dvd drive, so i can't use an XP Disk, as the computer didn't come with one.) but the recovery console wouldn't even load, the computer couldn't recognize it. No matter what i do, nothing works, i need help immediately! Is there anyway i can fix this without replacing the harddrive or buying a new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

It sounds like the computer is set to attempt booting from the USB port. Try entering the BIOS, and set 1st boot device=HDD (hard disk drive). Save the change (press F10 usually) and see if you can boot Windows now. The BIOS is usually reached by tapping an F-key on boot; try F2 or F8 to start. When in the BIOS screen, movement is controlled by the arrow keys and Enter to choose an option, but it will vary depending on the type of BIOS. American Megatrends was pretty common long ago. Sometimes there are hints in the right margin of the screen.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users