I run on Windows 8. I noticed the computer kept refreshing to desktop page, may be every 10 seconds. When the internet cable was unplugged it was OK. I have done the following things and led to believe the problem is at the hard drive.
1. I changed the cable and nothing improved, which led me to think the hardware problem at the cable plug-in area.
2. I used a wireless adapter. it didn't help which led me to think the motherboard was faulty.
3. I bought a used computer running Windows 7. It runs OK with the cable plugged in.
4. In order to run the programs and files in the original computer, I installed the hard drive from that computer as C:. As soon as the internet cable is plugged in, the computer started refreshing.
5. With this hard drive installed as non C drive, I run the "housecall" from Trendmicro and found no virus or spam ware.
6. I came back to the original computer. It runs perfect as long the cable is not plugged in.
Any suggestion? What driver or programs run when the cable is plugged in? Since I can't connect the computer to internet with this hard drive I can't run Windows update.