Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x6D9 Windows Firewall error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rydher

Rydher

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

It took me some time to notice this error and other than it being annoying to me it's not really effecting my PC much. The picture below is the error that shows. What I have done...

1. Tried starting the service manually a number of different ways and the service will seem to start for a moment then stop.
  2. When I go to the Windows Firewall settings an click Use Recommended Settings. It doesn't seem to actually do anything. I'm assuming it tries to start the service and then stops.
  3. There are no types of viruses, root-kits, malware, etc on the PC.
  4. Ran the SFC with no issues.

firewall.jpg

What I think happened is that I had Bitdefender Total Security on my system. I decided I didn't want to renew so I uninstalled it, but instead of using their uninstaller I used Revo Uninstall Pro to do it because I always trace any programs I install with it. I think I may have gotten to click happy and maybe fudged something up Windows uses for its firewall. But the issue could of always been there I just never noticed because I used Bitdefender's firewall.

Can anyone assist?

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2015 - 10:24 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to Firewalls - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

Sure. Download the .bat file I attached and run it as Administratior.

After if finishes running open the run box (windows key +r) and type "services.msc" hit ok.

Find Windows Firewall in the list right click on it and chose properies and make sure the startup type is automatic. If it's stopped then click start and then ok.

Now from the run box type "msconfig" under the services tab find Windows Firewall make sure it's checked then click apply and ok and exit without a restart.

Now Windows firewall should be in working order.

Edited by sAyer, 22 November 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#3 Rydher

Rydher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Thank you sAyer.

When I click on the .bat file it takes me to a new tab in my browser that says: "You do not have permission to view this attachment. [#10171"]

I've tried both right and left clicking.

#4 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:18 PM

Open Notepad an paste the following text inside -

sc config wuauserv start= auto
sc config bits start= auto
sc config DcomLaunch start= auto
net stop wuauserv
net start wuauserv
net stop bits
net start bits
net start DcomLaunch

Then click file -> save as -> at the bottom change save as type to all files -> For the file name use Firewall Reset.bat and save it to your dektop. Now try right clicking and running it as admin. If that works then follow the other steps from before.

Also under tools in Revo Unistaller is a backup manager that will restore the registry from uninstall if that is the problem. Just right click on Bitdefender and hit restore. If the first method does not work for you.

Edited by sAyer, 22 November 2015 - 02:35 PM.

#5 Rydher

Rydher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:10 AM

Thank you.

The steps you gave me with the firewall.bat, services, and msconfig did not fix the problem. The firewall.bat ran perfectly, the same issue with the firewall service as before (it would start then immediately stop), and the firewall was checked using msconfig.

• I did restore the bitdefender from Revo Uninstall and that stopped my PC from starting up. I had to boot up using the advanced start up options and selecting option 8 I believe it was (the one to disable early-launch anti malware protection). That is the only option that allowed my PC to boot to the desktop.
  • When it was booted I used the Bitdefender uninstall tool which got it all out and some anomalies were fixed. After the uninstall tool ran I rebooted.
  • When the desktop came up I did the above steps you gave me again. Did not correct the issue.
  • I rebooted again and then ran the system file checker in safe mode. Rebooted and tried to start the firewall again. Still did not correct the issue.

#6 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

Which version of Windows are you using ? If you have XP, 7, or Vista Then https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic

Also Have you tried the Bitdefender Removal Tool. Maybe a driver did not uninstall properly and that's the source of the problem. http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

Good Luck

#7 Rydher

Rydher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

I am using Windows 10.

I did run the Bitdefender Removal Tool and that did not correct the issue. To make matters worse I ran that latest windows 10 update and now my start button doesn't work, programs have been removed, all my restore points have been deleted, etc...

/sigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users