Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

POST beeps for Dell Studio 540

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wjlesaulnier

wjlesaulnier

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

I have a Dell Studio 540 wiith core 2 quad and 6 GB RAM. I get three very brief POST beeps every boot. I'm a tech so I've been thru the whole troubleshooting routine. Beeps have occurred with different drives, video cards, mice and keyboards. They occur with no peripherals plugged in. Power-on memoery test was good. The motherboard service manual doesn't have the POST beep codes. Beeps occurred before and after a BIOS update. I'm not having any problems so I hesitate to re-seat / replace the BIOS chip. Any suggestions? Where can I find listing of POST beep codes for this PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_beep_codes

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 wjlesaulnier

wjlesaulnier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

Doppleganger   -  Thank you!!!!!!!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

You are welcome hope it helps.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:42 PM

That technick site looks pretty handy for a users guide.  Especially the Audio section.   Ever since IBM used beep codes, three beeps was common with the original 64K MOBO for the PC in 1980.  Thre meant the first 64K of memory was no good.  Tough deal with those huge boards and it only had 64K of memory.  One long beep with following short beeps became part of the code when memory was expanded beyond the initial 64K.

#6 wjlesaulnier

wjlesaulnier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:57 PM

The beeps are soft and very rapid so I can only be %75 sure that it is actually 3 short beeps. Memtest86 boot memory test checked out OK. I'm already planning on upgrading with a Z170 MoBo and an I5 and this PC is working perfectly for now despite the beeps so I'll bide my time for a couple of months until I can upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users