Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing new computer, advice needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel7z7

Daniel7z7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hi guys, 

On a rather tight budget, and have come across the following two laptops which are available to me. 

Can you please help me decide on the better option. 

1: Dell: Inspiron 3542 i3

Processor and Speed

Intel I3-4005U Processor (3M Cache, 1.7Ghz)
Storage Capacity
1TB
Camera Specs
HD (720p) capable webcam, microphone
Memory
4GB RAM
Display
15.6” LED Backlit Display with Truelife & HD resolution (1366 x 768)
Operating System and Version
Windows 8.1 Single Language
Connectivity
Dell Wireless-N 170x (1x1) + Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi Display Support (Wi-Fi Alliance)
Additional Information
Internal DVD+/-RW

2: Acer: Aspire E5 - 573
Processor and Speed
Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7GHz
Storage Capacity
1TB
Camera Specs
Acer webcam with 1280 x 720 resolution; 720p audio/video recording
Memory
4GB
Display
HD LED backlit LCD Glare Resolution 1366 x 768
Screen Size
15.6"
Windows 8.1 Single Language 64-bit
Connectivity
Wireless LAN: 802.11ac Wireless LAN
Upgradable Storage
Yes
Additional Information
Security software: McAfee Internet Security Suite (60 days trial version) Productivity Software: Microsoft office 2013 Trial version (30 days trial version)

3: Lenovo: G5080 i3
Camera Specs
0.3 Mega Pixels
Memory
6GB RAM
Display
15.6 Inch LED HD (1366X768)
Windows 8.1
Processor and Speed
Intel Core i3-4005U (1.7 Ghz) ,Intel® HD graphics 4400
Connectivity
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth® 4.0 RJ-45
Storage Capacity
1TB

My preferences:
- A good image display.
- Decent processing speed.
I will be doing a fair amount of video calling and some gaming so I really would like to choose the laptop that is the most reliable with a decent amount of battery life.  

Thanks for any help in advance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:13 AM

Of the three laptops you have listed, the camera on the Lenovo is only VGA, the other 2 are 720p, so if you're doing a lot of video calling you'll be wanting one of the better cameras.

Acer's don't seem to have the best reputation for long term reliability.

Processors/screen resolutions/hard drive sizes are the same for all 3 so nothing much to choose between there.

(RAM is better on the Lenovo - but you can always upgrade RAM on the others - the internal VGA only webcam can't be changed.)

Edited by rqt, 22 November 2015 - 07:14 AM.

#3 Daniel7z7

Daniel7z7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:26 AM

Of the three laptops you have listed, the camera on the Lenovo is only VGA, the other 2 are 720p, so if you're doing a lot of video calling you'll be wanting one of the better cameras.

Acer's don't seem to have the best reputation for long term reliability.

Processors/screen resolutions/hard drive sizes are the same for all 3 so nothing much to choose between there.

(RAM is better on the Lenovo - but you can always upgrade RAM on the others - the internal VGA only webcam can't be changed.)

Thank you for the quickly reply. With that information I will probably be leaning towards the Dell laptop. Please let me know if I should reconsider. Thanks again bud

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

Dell pc's I have found to be very reliable; that is the one I would choose.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:51 AM

The Dell would have been my choice also.

#6 peck2type

peck2type

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:44 AM

I'll throw my vote to the Dell.   However, the 3542 is a nice machine but has been replaced by the 3543.  Potentially larger HDD, move over Haswell and welcome the Broadwell processing where you will gain a little with the GPU processor.  On the downside, but not a deal breaker they are both BGA sockets and will not offer you an option to upgrade because the CPU is soldered to the motherboard.  AND...  my personal laptop selector these days comes from my personal bad habits to sit in a poorly lit room and enjoy my backlit keyboard; just another vote to take a closer look at the 3543.  I'm not entirely sure the budget, but I did read the crunch is in effect.  I'm sticking with the Dell here but coasting the Lenovo in at an easy second place selection.

Good luck and enjoy your new machine.

#7 peck2type

peck2type

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:57 AM

on a total side note....   Check out the DELL Latitude E6410 Notebook Intel Core i5 2.40GHz 4GB Memory 250GB HDD 14" Windows 7 Professional 64Bit @ $200

Thrown in a Samsung 850 EVO SSD with claims a Max Sequential Read Up to 540 MBps / Max Sequential Write up to 520 MBps for under $75

and

16 GB of DDR3 from G.Skill for under $65 ]

well...  that's a capable machine that will throw a 4K display via HDMI for $340.

Downside here is the smaller HDD, but that's the beauty of the cloud and USB3.  ;)

just 2 more cents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users