Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CertainLaptop Keyboard Keys Not Functioning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 simonthebar

simonthebar

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:42 AM

HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14

For some reason, my keyboard's 'B','N','Del', 'Caps Lock', 'R Alt', 'F12', and 'F1' The wifi key, (F12) will flicker on and off. Every other key seems fine and plugging in an external keyboard works perfectly. Now, to test whether it was just the keyboard, I removed the keyboard from that laptop, and plugged it into a HP G6 (the old one) and the keyboard worked perfectly. So I'm confident the keyboard isn't the issue. The hard drive was recently replaced from an even older HP pavilion, it does however boot up perfectly and there are no issues once in Windows. I've installed Windows 7 and 10 with neither showing any kind of solution.

There are four unknown devices in the Device Manager. Three of them are obviously not involved, but there is a PCI device. The hardware ID is: PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_5229&SUBSYS_18FC103C&REV_01    PCI Bus 3

The keyboard is read as PS/2 Keyboard and is plugged into the PCI standard ISA bridge. There are no driver updates available and windows reads it as working properly.

I have: disconnected and reconnected keyboard

cleaned ribbon and port

removed battery and powered off and held power button to reset hardware

uninstalled drivers and allowed windows to reinstall them

searched for and installed all windows updates

used a third-party driver installed to search and install drivers

Reinstalled windows

Verified action keys are not enabled

Updated BIOS

Tested keyboard on compatible laptop to which it worked perfectly

Pretty much my last resort is this forum

Edited by simonthebar, 22 November 2015 - 01:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:15 PM

Given that an external keyboard works perfectly and that this one works perfectly in a different laptop it seems that the problem is with the laptop's connections to the mobo at the mobo end. I am not familiar with this laptop but I presume it is some type of ribbon connector going into a clamp mounted on the mobo.

If I am right it is likely that your problem is due to a failed solder joint where the clamp mounts on the mobo, in which case it going to be somewhere between 'very difficult' and 'impossible' to fix. You may have to resign yourself to the inconvenience of an external keyboard.

But before abandoning hope, try to clear those issues off 'Device manager'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:09 PM

I have seen this as described.  The solder joints at the underside of the MOBO, at the keyboard connector and some traces.  It means complete dis-assembly and some delicate work with a low wattage soldering iron and a good lighted magnifier.  As a beginner in the engineer field, I spent loads of time on the old plugin backplane boards replacing chips and always paid close attention to socketed chips as they were often subject to a techs approach to repair by reseating all the chips by pressing hard on the chip until a "click" was heard.  This also meant some solder joints would separate if not properly done.  Worst case is the MOBO is bad and needs repair/replace.

#4 simonthebar

simonthebar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:07 AM

Thank you Chris and mjd420nova, seems as if the worst case scenario is the problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users