Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen, atikmdag.sys

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thetrin777

thetrin777

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:40 PM

Hello, everyone.

I'm having an issue with my computer that is slightly difficult for me to explain.

When this started, I kept getting a BSOD linking the file "atikmdag.sys" as being the issue. When it happened, it was usually when I had 3 or 4 firefox tabs open. And if one was a youtube page, it'd happen more often. Anyway, I tracked it down to being some sort of driver issue. Tried uninstalling all the drivers and re-installing them, and it seemed to stop the BSOD.

However...

I started having an issue where a few programs (Most specifically FL Studio, Minecraft, and Firefox in particular) are going into "Not responding", and back to normal about twice a second. It makes the mouse turn into the hourglass and back to the mouse so fast it looks like it's flashing. After a moment of twitching, the program will hang completely. The icon on the taskbar disappears and reappears very rapidly, as if the program is closing and opening. I found that if I press a key while it's happening, either it will close the program or start working again briefly, only to do the same thing and eventually either close or finally Windows recognizes it as not responding.

To give a little more info, I actually had this issue once before. I'm pretty sure I found a page which showed me how to fix it by changing a registry key. And it worked. Well, I ran a registry cleaner, and I think it deleted that key, and now I'm back here.

Does anyone know of the page I am talking about? If not, is there another possible way to track this down and fix it? I really miss Minecraft and I can't play cause it does this weird glitch so much it's unplayable and eventually closes.

Thanks in advance!!

-Trin

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

It looks like your problem may be related to your ATI drivers.  Please do the following to provide us with the driver version installed on your computer.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

The following should not be viewed as an admonishment, but should be recognized as a informative message.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Edited by dc3, 22 November 2015 - 10:32 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thetrin777

thetrin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:28 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/inyux3nt5BvBm58EMk2nqCx

There's the link. Btw, the registry cleaner I used was Piriform CCleaner. I think it's a legit program, but I may be naieve.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:39 AM

It doesn't matter if this is the best registry cleaner out there.  You still should not use these as explained in my previous post.

Unfortunately you have not posted the model of this Toshiba computer.

You need to go to the Toshiba Support website and download the latest version of their ATI graphics drivers.  The current version you have installed it the Driver version: 15.201.1151.1007.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thetrin777

thetrin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

Alright, I got it. No registry tools. I just mentioned it cause I noticed Speccy was made by Piriform.

Anyway, sorry I forgot to add model number. It's a Toshiba Sattelite C55D-A5120.

I got on their site and used my serial number to bring up the drivers.

Version: 15.20.1055-150706a-186965C-Toshiba

That's the newest one I see for display.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

Did you uninstall the old driver and install the new one?

#7 thetrin777

thetrin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

Ive tried it, but I may have done it wrong. You uninstall the drivers through device manager, correct?

Edited by thetrin777, 28 November 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

It depends.  I would check to see if it shows up in Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

#9 thetrin777

thetrin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:05 PM

Ok, so I went through the computer and uninstalled everything that has to do with this driver. In device manager now, it says "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" so I'm assuming it's uninstalled. However, it's still doing this same thing without any of the ATI drivers installed. (Even uninstalled Catalyst but no help)

I'm beginning to think this may not be a driver issue at all, more-so something wrong in windows. I'm re-installing the ATI drivers now, I'll let you know what happens.

Edited by thetrin777, 28 November 2015 - 06:07 PM.

#10 thetrin777

thetrin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

Alright, well, the driver reset didn't do anything. So, I guess I'm back to sqare one. Is there any other possible reason this could be happening? I can't re-install windows, or I'd have done that by now. I'm at a total loss...

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

That computer  has the system recovery partition.  You can access the users guide here.

Go to page 59 for instructions for using this partition.

#12 thetrin777

thetrin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

Please tell me there is another way around this... It's telling me that I'm basically gonna have to re-install every program I've got. It was frustrating enough getting some of them on here and setting them up where I could work with them. I really REALLY don't want to go through that. And, like I said, the last time I fixed this, I had to add or change a key to the registry. I have searched all over for that page.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:39 AM

Double check your video driver version installed as the latest is  Posted Date: 2015-09-03 | Version: 13.352.1004.1027-150312a-182001C-Toshiba | Size: 258.9M

There is also a newer BIOS firmware version which is 1.80 for Satellite C55D/C55DT (PSCFWx)

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200007480

To give a little more info, I actually had this issue once before. I'm pretty sure I found a page which showed me how to fix it by changing a registry key. And it worked. Well, I ran a registry cleaner, and I think it deleted that key, and now I'm back here.

We're not sure of what is there to tweak...

Tekken

#14 thetrin777

thetrin777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

That's weird... my driver version is 15.300.1025.0. Maybe I'll track down that particular driver and install it and see what happens. I'ma update the BIOS now, and I'll report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users