Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to check a slipstreamed XP disc before using it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 susan46

susan46

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

My computer with XP Home crashed and after trying to recover it for days I decided instead to try making a new install disc with nlite.

My original installation disc was XP sp2 but over the years it had been updated with sp3 which of course was not on my disc.

I found an ISO copy of sp3 and I followed a very involved set of instructions that should have led to a slipstreamed disc with my original installation disc, the ISO copy of sp3 and in addition all of the updates that had been released up to the date that microsoft stopped issuing further updates for XP.

I then proceeded to make a complete slipstreamed disc with all of this and to use it to do a fresh install of XP on my computer.

I thought that I had followed the fresh install instruction correctly and my computer seemed to install all of this ok. and it started up fine but seemed somewhat different than expected.  When I checked the system information on the computer it shows the install as XP Home sp2....

What I want to know is if  there is a way to check a slipstreamed disc for accuracy BEFORE using it to reinstall the system??  I have no idea what went wrong with the process so I hesitate to even try it again.  Thanks for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

I have not used nlite but I have used AutoStreamer with success. I would download the XP SP3 exe file here. AutoStreamer here. You cannot use Autostreamer to include all post SP3 updates though. The SP3 iso is not used with Autostreamer, only the SP3 exe file.

If after installing SP3 you cannot get Windows Update to work then download and install the Windows XP update agent here.

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/using_autostreamer/using_autostreamer.shtml

The above guide is for SP2 but all steps are the same for SP3. Only difference is your SP3 exe file

Edit Edit: you can tell if you have a XP SP3 install disk by looking at the root files on the CD. You should see a file with a SP3. Double clicking the Readme file should give you information on the disk. I will have to confirm this looking at my SP3 install disk.

670px-Boot-Windows-XP-from-a-Fat32-Forma

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 November 2015 - 07:53 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

FWIW:  I have used nLite to slipstream SP3 into an earlier version of XP...I just followed the yellow brick road as laid out by nLite.

nLite - Deployment Tool for Unattended Windows - Guide - http://www.nliteos.com/guide/index.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users