Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

Any CCleaner users can help me with this question. Seems like it can "clean" forever sometimes when I haven't even used the computer or browser. Ex. I can run the cleaner once, clean all the temp files and etc. Then run it again and there will still  be more to clean. After the second time all will be clean - 0 bytes. Strangely, sometimes when I run a forth time just for SnG's there will be the same files again that I could've swore I deleted on the first pass....what gives? To add, all the runs would've been done in succession.

Anyone else notice this characteristic on CCleaner? I have the most recent version.  Been using the app for a while and I like it, though this is weird I find.

Thanks

Edited by allstock, 21 November 2015 - 07:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IAmNoMan6591

IAmNoMan6591

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

Mine behaves exactly the same way.  Possibly the 1st run creates some 'loose ends'.  Norton File Cleanup always seems to need 2 runs.  They all seem to be that way.  I just take it as another acceptable quirk.  IANM

Edited by IAmNoMan6591, 21 November 2015 - 07:37 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:41 PM

Realize Windows OS and many 3rd party programs constantly generate temp files, zero files, galore, as well as constantly delete and delete and delete some more.  I've set my ccleaner to only delete cache files first thing upon boot.  Yes, there's a price to pay, if I warm-boot to test something, ccleaner runs at every boot.  I unchecked many many other choices to speed things up during any coldboot and during warmboots.

[If you want proof, download and use the trial version of Resplendence's Undelux -- it will show you just how many files are deleted daily.  Take a look inside the various temp directories for same files.]

Edited by RolandJS, 21 November 2015 - 07:48 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Glad it's not just me.

Even when I haven't browsed or opened anything. CCleaner is removing thumbnails ? weird.

Thanks guys

#5 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

I tried a seven pass free space wiper, got about half way and it crashed this am. Just thought I'd try the three pass before I left for the gym for better luck. Said it had about twenty minutes before I left. I got home and 0% is done and it says I now have 73 days, 20 hours, 45 minutes, and 23 seconds remaining....Uh yeah right CCleaner.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:44 AM

My recommendation:  Boot using either a usb stick or DVD [ensure that it fully understands and uses your NTFS structure], aim the portable version of any free-space wiper at the desired partition, and prepare for a long long long run.  In my experience, only Norton Utilities's free space wiper was effective and efficient upon my earlier FAT16 and FAT32 HD partitions.  Now, I simply do not use any within-Windows OS free-space wiper.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

If I may ask, why are you using the free space wiper?

I've used it in the past and it has worked fine, though it always takes forever, particularly on a large drive with lots of free space.  The only reason I've used it is to purge a drive that had completely unknown content from a user who was deceased and the person handling the estate didn't want to donate the machine with any chance that anyone could attempt to "undelete" content.  One run I did with the 7 passes (or I think it was 7 passes) took almost 48 hours.

That's pretty much it's only purpose - purging any and all history of what might have once been contained in now-deallocated blocks.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

Britechguy, I take it you're asking allstock  :)   I did not mean to indicate that I currently use such tools.  I might use it someday on any "imported from another user's computer," or simply full-format, accomplishes the same thing.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:27 PM

Britechguy, I take it you're asking allstock  :)   I did not mean to indicate that I currently use such tools.  I might use it someday on any "imported from another user's computer," or simply full-format, accomplishes the same thing.

Yes, I am asking allstock.   I do so because there seems to be some misunderstanding at times about the difference between the Cleaner function, which deletes old temp files (and can do other compression related stuff, too, on request) to free up disk space, and Drive Wiper, which does not get you a single byte of additional disk space but only "sanitizes" currently unallocated disk space.

The only use I've ever found for Drive Wiper is when one is trying to wipe out all traces of prior data that could be reconstructed using the tools to do that.

I hasten to add to your comment that a full format only overwrites if you use the /P switch.  Doing a straight "Format {Drive:}" is a quick format which creates a clean file system, but doesn't do anything to the old data that's sitting around in blocks on the drive from the old file system.  There are recovery packages that can still get information back from a drive that has what many think is a full format, but really isn't.  It makes the process spottier in what it can recover, though.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

Britechuy, agreed!  I was using the word "full" to indicate the actual overwriting of the whole hard-drive and/or its partitions, as opposed to the quick-format, which only zeroes out the FAT and DIR tables.  What does NTFS call those tables if not FAT and DIR tables?

And, to allstock, I want to point out a possible danger of drive-wipe [free-space cleaning] from within Windows OS:  if there is any kind of hiccup, one could find some folders and their files wiped clean.  Possibility may be remote, it isn't remote if such happens to you.

#11 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:22 AM

I realize something like this doesn't make your computer any faster, but it definitely shouldn't take 78 hours. As with all apps I understand that there's always a risk of corrupting something or losing files in this case. I just put my trust in an app like CCleaner based off it's track record.

#12 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:34 AM

I'd like to also note that the latest version is terribly slow on the start up for some reason. Already tried reinstall, same thing. Seems needlessly heavy now.

Edited by allstock, 30 November 2015 - 01:35 AM.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

The new version probably "asks" more questions of the OS and the surrounds before giving the end-user control.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

I have no theory as to what is happening on allstock's machine, but CCleaner is working pretty much as it always has on mine.  A full cleaning, which I do at most once a month [and usually less frequently than that unless I suspect that browser cache has been corrupted] runs in a matter of minutes.

Something's definitely "off" with the program, or something else, on allstock's machine.

~ Brian Vogel

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

Britechguy, probably a number of things are slowing down ccleaner.  Not necessarily a bad thing, if such are mostly security and monitoring programs and utilities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users