Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft yanks latest Windows 10 release from its download server:ZDnet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

Without explanation, Microsoft has removed the just-released November update (version 1511) from the download page it offers to the general public. The media creation tool now downloads the initial release of Windows 10 instead. [Update: Microsoft tries to explain.]

Update: A Microsoft spokesperson says the change is intentional:

The November update was originally available via the MCT tool, but we've decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

Article

Edit: From the article

And to add insult to those injuries, the sudden removal of the build 10586 ISO files means that the newly added capability to do a clean install using a Windows 7 or Windows 8.x product key is now unavailable to the general public unless they were fast enough to download and save an ISO file before the sudden change.

I never received a confirmation if it was possible but I wonder if Microsoft pulled the update and stopped the ability to use a Windows 7 product key to install because one could clean install Windows 10 using an OEM SLP key from Windows 7 as those are freely available on the Web.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 November 2015 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:47 PM

I've read that, elsewhere, along with allegations of Bitlocker being broken. Or, it could be because of all the little annoyances folks have reported.

I was really stoked to be able to burn an iso with all the latest upgrades. That makes so much sense than, years from now, starting with 10240 and applying all the upgrades and updates. I hope that MS will fix whatever's broken and give us up to date isos, again.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:14 PM

Well, I hear the ticking in the background.  Since I've had zero issues I'm just waiting for the bomb to explode now!!  I never have good tech karma in these situations.

If the information about bitlocker is accurate we likely have a victim of that malfunction posting on these very forums.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

Microsoft introduces new Algorithm for Bitlocker in 1511. Maybe this is the issue with the Bitlocker problems.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-version-1511-gets-new-xts-aes-bitlocker-encryption-algorithm

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

Well, I hear the ticking in the background.  Since I've had zero issues I'm just waiting for the bomb to explode now!!  I never have good tech karma in these situations.

If the information about bitlocker is accurate we likely have a victim of that malfunction posting on these very forums.

In the comments to the Zdnet article, user mill1gan posted this link concerning Bitlocker. Maybe it will help the person you're helping.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

I read elsewhere that upgrading to build 10586, would make 10240 your 'previous version of Windows', and that anyone who tried to roll back to 7 or 8.1 after updating would end up rolling back to build 10240 instead. I honestly don't know if that is accurate, but if it is, it could be why they pulled the update.

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

Parallel article in betanews, here.  Ed's is more detailled.  I really feel bad for him.  He spent all that time explaining Threshold 2, only to be kicked in the teeth by Redmond.  It's not fair to him.

EDIT: here's the Computerworld article. It has more detail on who discovered the problem first, and links to those sources.  Else, nothing.

Edited by brainout, 22 November 2015 - 07:39 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

I read elsewhere that upgrading to build 10586, would make 10240 your 'previous version of Windows', and that anyone who tried to roll back to 7 or 8.1 after updating would end up rolling back to build 10240 instead. I honestly don't know if that is accurate, but if it is, it could be why they pulled the update.

You make a good point. I can see folks upgrading to 1015 and then complaining that MS promised them 30 days to go back to Win 7/8.1, and they didn't get it. Allegedly, WU won't offer the newbies to fall upgrade, but, with the MCT, all bets are off.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

In a nutshell....

Customers already running Windows 10's build 10240 must hang tight and wait for Microsoft to offer the November upgrade in Windows Update, then download that for each device.

That means Windows 10 users will no longer be able to create bootable, installable media -- typically a USB thumb drive, but alternately a DVD disc -- to upgrade multiple machines to 1511 without having to download the massive file to each system, consuming bandwidth and taking time.

Previously, Microsoft had been clear that it would use Windows Update to refresh Windows 10 with the two-to-three-times-a-year upgrades, as well as the monthly security updates.

But it had also pledged that it would offer disk images in .iso file format for each upgrade to give advanced users another way to keep their devices up to date.

Quote jargos  (today) 

You see, aside from the fact that it is an assylum and a circus, look at the precious, unredeemable time you are forced to expend on it.

And the presumption is, amongst the fans, anyway .. well, that's OK - it's normal, what are you complaining about ?

It's "free"...remember...??!!

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#10 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:48 PM

In a nutshell....

Customers already running Windows 10's build 10240 must hang tight and wait for Microsoft to offer the November upgrade in Windows Update, then download that for each device.

That means Windows 10 users will no longer be able to create bootable, installable media -- typically a USB thumb drive, but alternately a DVD disc -- to upgrade multiple machines to 1511 without having to download the massive file to each system, consuming bandwidth and taking time.

Previously, Microsoft had been clear that it would use Windows Update to refresh Windows 10 with the two-to-three-times-a-year upgrades, as well as the monthly security updates.

But it had also pledged that it would offer disk images in .iso file format for each upgrade to give advanced users another way to keep their devices up to date.

Quote jargos  (today) 

You see, aside from the fact that it is an assylum and a circus, look at the precious, unredeemable time you are forced to expend on it.

And the presumption is, amongst the fans, anyway .. well, that's OK - it's normal, what are you complaining about ?

It's "free"...remember...??!!

(bolded)

LOL .. I'll take that as polite sarcasm. The sweet air of freedom blows elswhere.

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,100 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:21 PM

But it had also pledged that it would offer disk images in .iso file format for each upgrade

Microsofts promises are even more hollow than a politicians at election time.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,646 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

And remember, Redstone is coming out next year. Is that going to be another 3GB download? That is just ridiculous. 

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:35 PM

And remember, Redstone is coming out next year. Is that going to be another 3GB download? That is just ridiculous. 

I guess it depends upon your perspective.  Just today I did a 1.5GB download for maps to update the GPS on my smartphone.  It's not like I do multi-gigabyte downloads on a daily basis, but downloads of a couple of gigabytes aren't extremely rare, either.   If you do significant streaming, and many do, you can burn through many gigabytes of bandwidth in no time flat.

Also, until Redstone arrives we really have no idea what size the download will be.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

""Microsofts promises are even more hollow than a politicians at election time.""

Reminds me of the old lawyer/politician joke......How do you know when a lawyer/politician is lying....??

Spoiler

The joke will need to be rewritten....

Edited by Condobloke, 23 November 2015 - 07:12 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:29 AM

Here's what I learned about Win10:  Nadella now CEO, used to head Bing, and Myerson now head of Windows, used to head Mobile.  That explains a lot why Bing is baked into Win10, and why the Win10 interface is like a phone.  The new head of Mobile just took a sabbatical, and the flagship phones aren't doing well, and came out even after he left.

Sinofsky used to head MS Office for 2007 et seq, was succeeded by Larson-Greene who invented that cursed ribbon, so now it's in Windows too, and Sinofsky's gone: after MS Office, Ballmer put him in charge of Windows.  Both Win8 and MS Office post 2003 are true DISASTERs of programming which most lawyers and accountants shun to this day, esp. MS Office;  I only know one person using Word past 2003 (Excel is a different story, it has genuine improvements) among my many (mostly medical/legal/financial professional) contacts.

Ballmer was behind Vista, and used to be CEO.  He's gone.

Every single one of these guys, when you hear them talk: they doublespeak.  Problem is, those behind them will do the same.

So it's not going to get better.  Who in his right mind would add Bing, Cortana, Hello, Hololens and Xbox, when the core business is Enterprise, the consumer and small business sector now largely lost and going down?

It's not fair to the thousands of hard working MSFT employees to have such a horrible top brass.  Their brains are mush, and so too the Board for hiring/keeping them.  Behind it all has to be Gates.  He's advising Nadella.

And their fixation on Apple is soooo old now and soooo beyond the pale.  Very petty company at the top.  Again, this is so unfair to the employees. And I'm not a leftie, as I hope you all know.

So whatever went wrong with Threshold -- and from what I can tell, it was pulled to prevent it being used standalone -- whetever went wrong, will keep going wrong be it Redstone or anything else.

I hung around when the disaster of Win8 was announced, hoping Win10 would be better.  Yet so long as that leadership remains, it will only get worse.

Someone just wrote me an email complaining about Windows 10, converting to Linux, saying now hard it is to do the conversion, though that person actually works in IT.  I retorted that I won't wholly convert, though can.

Might live to regret that.

Edited by brainout, 24 November 2015 - 04:38 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users