Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a new computer, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AmorNecis

AmorNecis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:48 PM

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new computer, since my old one is busted all to hell. I'm...moderately techy?

Here are my answers to the form:

Laptop or Desktop?

Laptop, definitely.
My budget for the new computer is:
>$1000, and even that is stretching it a bit.
What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
I want a computer that can handle school, as well as moderately heavy gaming, such as Portal and Skyrim. I don't play any MMORPGs. I am also learning a few programming languages.
What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Chrome, Firefox, and Steam games, mostly.
Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
I play (or did, before my computer broke) games with pretty heavy graphics, but no MMOs.
Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
I usually have a couple programs running at the same time, but usually not more than 3.
Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Yes, my previous one was used to back up around 700 mp3 files.
Will you be overclocking?
I'm not sure of what that means, so likely not.
Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?
Mostly Amazon, unless someone has a better alternative.
How many monitors are you planning to use?
Just one
Do you need peripherals? OS?
I would like it to have a webcam in it already, but other than that, no. And I'm okay with any non-iOS OS.
Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

My previous computer is broken.

I would like it to be relatively light, as I plan on carrying it in my backpack daily for student use. That being said, it cannot be a fragile computer.

Touch screen would be a nice perk, but I have no strong feelings for nor against it. Likewise with the idea of a 2-in-1, as long as it performs well and will not break.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 woolie

woolie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:02 PM

The Register reports:

"Dell ships laptops, PCs with gaping internet security hole

Root CA certificate opens up folks to banking, shopping snooping, etc"

You can read about it via the links below:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/23/dell_security_nightmare_gets_worse/

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/3twmfv/dell_ships_laptops_with_rogue_root_ca_exactly/

#3 AmorNecis

AmorNecis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

I wasn't thinking about getting a Dell, I actually heard Asus and Acer were better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users