Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning Defender back ON

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Stone

Dave Stone

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

I have what sounds like a simple problem/question. It seems that rkill has disabled Windows defender. When I try to turn it back on through the settings screen, it says defender is disabled with no option to do anything about it. How can I turn it back on after rkill ? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:56 AM

Do you have another antivirus installed on this computer?

What exactly does the error message state?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Dave Stone

Dave Stone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

I have Norton, but I always have had it. Defender stopped working yesterday.  There is no error, just this msg  I have Norton, but I always have had it. Defender stopped working yesterday.  There is no error, just this msg ..

I have Norton, but I always have had it. Defender stopped working yesterday.  There is no error, just this msg  

Edited by Dave Stone, 22 November 2015 - 12:59 PM.

#4 Dave Stone

Dave Stone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:59 PM

I have Norton, but I always have had it. Defender stopped working yesterday.  There is no error, just this msg 

Attached Files

Edited by Dave Stone, 22 November 2015 - 01:02 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 both will disable Windows Defender when a second antivirus is installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

Windows Defender will not, and should not, work if you have another antivirus product running on Win8 or Win10.

Windows Defender was changed from an anti-malware tool to a full antivirus product after Windows 7, and will disable itself and keep itself disabled if another antivirus product is detected on your system since antivirus software thinks other antivirus software is a virus and they will engage in a "battle to the death" trying to stop each other.

I am presuming that you recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, or else Windows Defender would have exhibited the same behavior in the presence of Norton on Win8.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 Dave Stone

Dave Stone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Thanks. It worked 2 days ago, but stopped after rkill was run. And yes, I went from 7 to 10.

Edited by Dave Stone, 22 November 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

Why did you run RKill?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:29 PM

It's odd that it ever "worked" after the upgrade if you had Norton on the machine.  Of course, one of commonly reported issues with Win10 upgrades is that antivirus software function and recognition is very wonky.  I've seen way more than one suggestion that one uninstall whatever antivirus software you have on your computer completely just prior to initiating the upgrade, then reinstalling a fresh copy immediately after the upgrade is completed.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users