Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

November Windows 10 Update Network changes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnsig

johnsig

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:16 PM

I installed the big windows 10 update and am now running Version 1511, Build 10586.11 on my DESKTOP as the center of my little network. It is hard wired to my router via ethernet cable. LAPTOP8 running Windows 8.1 and LAPTOPV running Windows Vista connect wirelessly. After extended struggles I had everything running smoothly and I could access public files and print from any of these. Then I ran the update and suddenly none of my computers could see any others. This morning I couldn't even access the network folders from DESKTOP (where they frigging reside). I started searching for answers and apparently I'm only one of many whose networks got totally screwed up by this update. I found an article which suggested checking certain services on each computer and ensuring they were all set to automatic.  After doing this I got most of it working except that LAPTOPV cannot access DESKTOP.

Having fooled with homegroups when I first set up the network using Windows 10, I discovered homegroups don't work with Vista. I suspect I have homegroups set up that I am not using. Everything I can find seems to say that when networking different OS it is important to ensure the network location is Home and if it isn't to change it in Network & Sharing.  But in each of my computers, below the network name it says "private network" and there appears to be no way to change it to "home network".

I thought maybe it was something I did when I created my current network, "gradyland" so I decided to create a new one called "SIGNETWORK". But that network also came up private and was not clickable to change it. I figured out I couldn't delete SIGNETWORK but I could instruct windows 10 to "forget" it, so I did.   At that point, I was going to post here but discovered neither of my laptops could connect to the internet. "gradyland" had disappeared from the list of available networks but "SIGNETWORK"  was there and I was able to connect both with a new security key. LAPTOP8 can even access DESKTOP.

So how to I get LAPTOPV back into my network? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Whew!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

In Windows 10 there are two network types:  private and public.   I think that the same thing is true in Win8.1, but don't have time to check at the moment.

A private network simply means that devices and content are discoverable by other devices on the same network.  I have no idea why Windows Vista would not be able to connect to a network that's broadcasting it's SSID/network name and for which you have the correct security password.

In Windows 10 a network is made private and devices on it discoverable by going to the WiFi Option of the Network & Internet settings then selecting the network you want to change in the list, then clicking on the "Advanced Options" link at the bottom.  This will bring you to the following dialog:

Attached File  Make_Network_Private.jpg   64.01KB   0 downloads

The rest is pretty self-explanatory.

Private now seems to replace both Home and Work network types, which makes sense to me.  I never knew why the two types were separated in earlier versions of Windows.   However, the method for changing a network that's classed as Public to Private is a lot more opaque, as far as I'm concerned.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 johnsig

johnsig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

Brian,

Appreciate the info. To get to your illustrated dialog, I had to first connect to SIGNETWORK. Remember DESKTOP is connected to the router via ethernet. So now when I click on the network icon in systray, I am connected to both gradyland and SIGNETWORK. OK by me. But this doesn't help LAPTOPV which can "see" the other network members and even access the public area files on LAPTOP8 (there are none). But when I try to access DESKTOP, I am told that I don't have rights and to check with the Administrator (which is me) to see if I should.

I wonder if I can now remove the ethernet cable from the router to DESKTOP?

Again, sincere thanks for your help.

John

PS: Very Cool website!

Edited by johnsig, 21 November 2015 - 08:03 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:53 AM

In order for these machines to share content they all must be on the same network.  It sounds like you have a modem-router and it's configured with a single wireless network.  All of your machines should be using that same network and if the Win10 and Win8 machines define it as "Private" and the WinVista machine defines it as either "Home" or "Work" you should be able to share files that are set to be shared across the boxes.

If you're still getting denials the first thing I'd look at are firewall settings since I have had times where the firewall, particularly if it's not the built-in Windows firewall, has settings that are more restrictive and that screw up file sharing unless tweaked.

Given the information I currently have that's the best suggestion I can offer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 johnsig

johnsig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

According to Vista help I can't set network to Home if part of a domain so it looks like Private is the right setting. All boxes are using Windows firewall and were connecting OK before so I have to blame the November update to Windows 10.  Guess I'll just wait for a fix. LAPTOPV has network internet access and I don't use network files on it often but do occasionally print something from it.

BTW I removed the ethernet connection form DESKTOP to the router and its still working fine. My former desktop was not wi-fi enabled and it never occurred to me to do anything different. Shows my level of inexpertise.

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users