Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

November Windows 10 Update

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 johnsig

johnsig

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:08 PM

I installed the big windows 10 update and am now running Version 1511, Build 10586.11 on my DESKTOP as the center of my little network. It is hard wired to my router via ethernet cable. LAPTOP8 running Windows 8.1 and LAPTOPV running Windows Vista connect wirelessly. After extended struggles I had everything running smoothly and I could access public files and print from any of these. Then I ran the update and suddenly none of my computers could see any others. This morning I couldn't even access the network folders from DESKTOP (where they frigging reside). I started searching for answers and apparently I'm only one of many whose networks got totally screwed up by this update. I found an article which suggested checking certain services on each computer and ensuring they were all set to automatic.  After doing this I got most of it working except that LAPTOPV cannot access DESKTOP.

Having fooled with homegroups when I first set up the network using Windows 10, I discovered homegroups don't work with Vista. I suspect I have homegroups set up that I am not using. Everything I can find seems to say that when networking different OS it is important to ensure the network location is Home and if it isn't to change it in Network & Sharing.  But in each of my computers, below the network name it says "private network" and there appears to be no way to change it to "home network".

I thought maybe it was something I did when I created my current network, "gradyland" so I decided to create a new one called "SIGNETWORK". But that network also came up private and was not clickable to change it. I figured out I couldn't delete SIGNETWORK but I could instruct windows 10 to ignore it, At that point, I was going to post here but discovered neither of my laptops could connect to the internet. "gradyland" had disappeared from the list of available networks but "SIGNETWORK"  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users