Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP doesn't start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Funny_Sunshine

Funny_Sunshine

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hi!

Since a moment now, I can't start my Windows XP computer. The computer itself turns on fine, but the screen turns completely black just after I select if I want to start normally or in safe mode.

If I choose to start with the "Last good configuration" or in VGA mode, sometimes I get an error message saying that the isapnp.sys file is missing (or sometimes hal.dll), but even if I put back those files using the Windows XP CD, Windows still doesn't start and nothing works any better.

Here is what I tried so far:

• Fixboot command
  • Chkdsk /r command
  • Bootcfg command
  • Reset the CMOS by removing the battery
  • Removing/switching up the RAM
  • Restarting in safe mode, last good configuration and VGA mode
  • Unplugging the mouse and every USB device (except the keyboard since the computer can't start without one)

I don't really know what I should try next. I probably have some copies of my most important files and documents on my other computers, but I'd still really like to keep most of my stuff intact since I'm not 100% sure that the backups I have are up to date

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

It's possible the hard drive is failing. Please download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso file on a WIndows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Disk Image or use a program like Imgburn. 

Boot the Parted Magic Disk and click the Disk Health icon on the desktop. Run the short and long tests. Do they pass? You can use the file manager to copy files from the internal drive to a USB flash or external drive.

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

#3 Funny_Sunshine

Funny_Sunshine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2016 - 04:27 PM

I know it's been a really long time, but thank you for your suggestion, I just didn't have the time to try anything before today.

So I finally did as you mentioned and booted from the PartedMagic CD. I did the short test in Disk Health and it failed, so I decided to copy my files before even trying the long test just to make sure.

However, I wanted to copy my files to a USB key, but no matter in which USB port I try to plug it, PartedMagic doesn't detect it. I searched on Google how to mount it and how to resolve these new problems, but I just can't make my USB device appear in the mount window. Even when I type "lsusb" in the terminal, it doesn't show up at all.

The worst part is, that USB key I tried worked perfectly just before I put it in my old computer, but now, it is not detected in any of my computers and I don't understand what could have broken it since we weren't even able to access it on the "defective" computer. So I'm a pretty scared to try again with another USB key. I don't want to break or corrupt all of them. :unsure:

Thank you in advance again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

Sorry, I missed this post. Can you format the flash drive again? Did you click the mount button as shown here? Parted Magic should not have done anything to the flash drive. .

Boot Partition Wizard. Start Gparted partition manager. Start Gparted. In the upper right corner is a dropdown box that will select your drive. It may be labeled /dev/sdb. There will a size listed under the label. Does Gparted detect the USB?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users