Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 and Cortana. I want to remove or turn off Cortana.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 The Dude Abides

The Dude Abides

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

There is no way to remove Cortana. (That I know of.) I don't use it. I don't like it. But in task manager I can't turn it off without it restarting it self.

So I figure I have to go to the registry, I'm guessing. So I know it can be turned off. I just don't know how to do it. Could someone help?

Thanks,

Dude

Edited by The Dude Abides, 21 November 2015 - 03:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:29 PM

You can't turn off the Cortana process, which is different than the Cortana Service, because it's an integral part of Windows Search.

If you've gone into the Cortana & Search settings and turned off the two settings shown in the screen shot below the Cortana Service is off.  What you have left is as close to good old Windows Search as you're going to get.

Attached File  Cortana&Search_Settings_T2.jpg   60.47KB   0 downloads

Edited by britechguy, 21 November 2015 - 03:30 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users