Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 karagarga

karagarga

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

So I am running Win 7 ultimate 64bit with "Symantec Endpoint Protection" and I also run through a vpn (PIA) which has its own Encryption and Firewall. So does that make "Symantec" not nessesary or should I have more protection on my end?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

I think all the vpns offering anonymity or security is a bit overblown. I read all these "stories" of them crumbling to bureaucracies when they say they never keep user info.

Seems like if a particular entity want's to get into your business and has the right resources, endpoint, middle, and beginning is really not a problem - just time.

That's just my layman take on this particular thing.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:32 PM

I use a VPN too. I don't think it's overblown.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:38 PM

I tried to get more information on their firewall, but on their site they say it is netfilter, which is for Linux. Not Windows. Maybe they mean that they run a firewall on their exit servers (probably Linux). It's not clear.

But if that is the case, then it does not replace your Symantec endpoint protection.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

I think all the vpns offering anonymity or security is a bit overblown. I read all these "stories" of them crumbling to bureaucracies when they say they never keep user info.

Seems like if a particular entity want's to get into your business and has the right resources, endpoint, middle, and beginning is really not a problem - just time.

That's just my layman take on this particular thing. I'm not doing anything

Rule number one when it comes to a VPN never use a service that is located in the domain of the “Five Eyes” an alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. I use blackVPN which is headquartered in Hong Kong. They can not be compelled to release anything under law, and they save only minimal information in the first place. It's not like I'm doing anything Illegal. I just value my right to privacy and being able to watch videos on Youtube that are blocked in my country due to copyright laws.

https://www.blackvpn.com/about/

Just an opinion.

#6 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:03 AM

That quote of mine is a little off. The last sentence "I'm not doing anything" was never said. Just wanted to correct sAyer's post.

#7 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:19 AM

That quote of mine is a little off. The last sentence "I'm not doing anything" was never said. Just wanted to correct sAyer's post.

And you should. No intent to say you said anything. Just a copy and paste mistake on my point. If you will let's blame it on the Vodka from my point. 100,000 apologizes allstock. I would never misquote anyone.

#8 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

Stumbled upon this article yesteday:

https://www.perfect-privacy.com/blog/2015/11/26/ip-leak-vulnerability-affecting-vpn-providers-with-port-forwarding/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#9 karagarga

karagarga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for every ones help However I was really wanting to know if I should get something in addition of Symantec to protect my computer.

#10 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

OP and others, PIA had a vulnerability in their port forwarding that leaked your IP addresses just recently. Those that use their service should check in with the company.

Edited by allstock, 01 December 2015 - 02:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users