Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add WIN 10 machines to home network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 athegn

athegn

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

Ideally I want any computer/tablet/phone/printer to talk to to any other computer/tablet/phone/printer on my home network, once switched on and any necessary login password entered.

The network is slightly complex.

One BT Homehub 4, one Asus EA-N66 Dual band 450BMbps WAP and one Edimax WAP EW-7228APn

Two HP Windows 10 Pcs, one Win 7 Pc, One Win 10 laptop, one Win 10 netbook, three Andriod tablets, 3 Andriod phones.

One HP Envy wireless printer and one Epson wireless printer. These two printers are in the study with the HH4 and the two WIN 10 Pcs.

Fibre broadband is connected to BT HH4. The two Win 10 PCs are also wired directly to the HH4. The HP Envy printer is wired to one Win 10 PC; its wifi connection is via the HH4 as its nearest connection. The Epson printer is only used by wifi using the HH4, again its nearest connection.

HH4 connections

1)    To ASUS WAP
2)    To Win 10 PC (PC A) (HP printer connected to that PC)
3)    To second Win 10 PC (PC B)
4)    To ethernet switch

Ethernet switch

1)    To Edimax WAP    (housed in seperate building)
2)    To wifi Powerline Home hub (other wifi Powerline hub wired to TV in another room in main building)
other ports unused.

Edimax WAP

1)    To WIN 7 pc (PC C)
other ports unused.

The phones/tablets use which ever WAP is nearest.

I have the phones/tablets working as required; use PrinterShare app to print on HP Envy printer (Epson only used for printing from one WIN 10 PC, PC B)

My problem is getting the laptop, netbook and WIN 7 Pc (wired to the Edimax WAP) to talk to the two WIN 10 PCs connected to the HH4. The laptop and netbook usually connect to the ASUS WAP.

I guess that the ASUS and Edimax are not recognised as part of the home network which is really the HH4?

When I try to connect I get dialog boxes asking for credentials i.e username and password. Entering the computers name and login password does not work.

How can get any Windows machine using the ASUS and Edimax to talk to all the other Windows machines?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:13 AM

Strange they call a router with a switch a Hub 4. :) 1x Gigabit port and 3x 100Mbit ports. The performance of this router in my mind questionable.

Which mode is the Edimax WAP using? AP,  Bridge mode, Range extender?

If a login box popped up you don't put in the computers name you put in the Username and Password. If you are getting a login prompt then the pc's see each other fine. You just need to setup sharing so that it is not using a password and instead setup public sharing. Default files will be setup for public sharing on each pc. Typically C:\Users\Public. You can share other files and drives, but you need to do that manually.

#3 athegn

athegn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

Thank you for your reply but I am still baffled. Lets start by getting the netbook and laptop to share all their files with the two machines connected to the HH4; the laptop and netbook that use the ASUS WAP, to connect to the network.

Is there a simple way I can share all files on all the machines in my home? Can I create something like a workgroup (not Home Group that only seems to share certain files).

It seems you need a degree in computing to do this simple task:-)

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:15 AM

You create homegroup. If one is already created you share the password code that was generated with the others that are not and they join. You can share anything just right-click and share with Homegroup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users