Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seagate pn-1dxap3-500 external hdd help.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 viking12344

viking12344

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hello all, I have an asus computer running windows 8. I also have  this external hdd seagate drive , pn-1dxap3-500 , that hooked up via usb 3.0. I had the drive stored for a year, went to plug it in today and nothing. Long story short I could not get power to the drive using several different power cords. I then figured I would open up the enclosure and install the drive inside the pc. That worked but now windows is telling me I have to format the drive and can't see any files on the drive. I have a lot of important information on the drive; is there anything I can do to read those files in win 8 without losing everything?

Whatever help you offer is appreciated. Thank you..

Edited by hamluis, 21 November 2015 - 06:07 PM.
Moved from Internal to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hello, and Welcome to BC

I know WD has data encryption on some of their external drives but I am not sure about seagate. In Disk Management how is the drive listed? Does it show as RAW?

#3 viking12344

viking12344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

Yes it shows as RAW...I have no idea what that means though

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

It means Windows can not detect a Partition table on the drive. I would try the easy step first. It involves booting a live linux disk to see if the drive can be detected. Linux can sometimes open a RAW drive where Windows fails.

In order to boot this disk you will need to disable Secure Boot in BIOS and also Quick/fastboot if there is a setting for that. If the disk does not boot with SecureBoot disabled then you will need to enable something called Legacy/CSM boot. What is the make and model of the computer?

Download Fatdog64 here. You can burn a disk by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. You can also create a bootable flash drive with the iso and Rufus. If you use Rufus select MBR for a partition scheme in the dropdown box. Where you see Freedos select iso image. Click on the folder icon and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. If any data is on the flash drive back it up first as the flash drive will be formatted. Make sure your flash drive is detected in the first dropdown box.

Boot Fatdog. In the lower left desktop you will see your hard drive(s). You Windows drive will be labled sda with numbered suffixes. These numbers represent the partitions on the disk. Your external drive if connected internally may be called sdb or sdc. Clicking once on the drive icon will automatically mount the drive and open a file manager if it can read the RAW drive. If it does then you can copy the files. Post back if it does and I will post instructions on how to copy your files. If not then we will need to try a different program that scans the drive to find the partition table.

Edit: What is the size of this drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 November 2015 - 12:09 PM.

#5 viking12344

viking12344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Its a 3tb drive, many thanks for this info. I will give this a go this evening. Computer is an asus essentio series I bought new at best buy last summer.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,615 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

A 3tb drive would indicate a GPT vs MBR disk. That may present a problem as recovery tools usually work better using the old MBR partition scheme. But, see if Fatdog can mount the drive. There are a few other tools besides Fatdog that can be used if Fatdog does not work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users