Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating BIOS error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ssee05

ssee05

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:13 AM

Hi!

My computer, through the HP Support Assistant, told me there is an important update I needed to do for my computer.  It wants me to download and install HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AE0). However whenever I try to do this I get the error -
 7 - Error: BIOS checksum error
This pops up about 2 seconds after trying to install.  I've tried disabling my antivirus just in case that was the issue, but it wasn't. I have also recently installed a new hard drive. 

So my question is,  Is this a necessary update? (My computer seems to think it is) and if so, how do I get pass this error?

I'm running a windows 7, HP Pavilion Series p7-1235.

Thanks!

-Sierra

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

I looked up your pc on the HP Support Driver Downloads page and I don't see any Bios updates offered there. This may be a glitch in the Support Assistance software. If I were you I would ignore this update. Thankfully it didn't install as it could have ruined your pc.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

I agree with Leurgy, there is no reason to flash your BIOS if your computer is running fine . That can lead to a bricked computer if the flash goes bad.

#4 ssee05

ssee05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thank you guys. 

Ill be sure to tell the update to GTFO. :]

-Sierra

0 user(s) are reading this topic