Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access installer message when installing a new program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rozzy70

Rozzy70

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

I have tried to load a particular program several times and have the message 'can't access installer'.

Also, on another program I am trying to install I get the message 'cannot install, no NSL.DLS found'

I've tried running the windows repair disk.

Am running HOme Premium 7 64 bit.

All help gratefully received!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

Download, install tweaking.com's Windows Repair (All in One), boot in Safe Mode with Networking, look for and checkmark Windows installer, and maybe even items #26 & 27.  Restart at least once if not twice to smooth Windows out.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.

Now type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.

Restart the computer and see if you can install the program.

Edited by dc3, 21 November 2015 - 09:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Rozzy70

Rozzy70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

HellIo, Very many thanks for your input and help. I downloaded the program as suggested by Arachibutyrophobia and ran the program, again as instructed.

I have now just looked at the services.msc and Windows Installer is back again! I clicked to make it manual.

I still have a problem with the NLS.DSL missing when installing one of the programs though.  Any thoughts?

#5 Rozzy70

Rozzy70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

The program I am trying to install is Lucid Perfectly Clear (A photography enhancer) and it is missing this import .dll file (NLS.DLS) on Windows 7 x 64, but not on my Windows 10 computer.  I suspect this is a registry fault, but need verification - and possibly a cure? Please.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found, please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.  Do not use a host website to post this.  I will not download anything to my computer unless I know exactly what it contains.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:38 AM

I have a cord of oak being delivered this morning.  When it gets here I will be busy for most of the day moving this and stacking it.  If this happens before we can complete this I will try to get back to this later this afternoon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users