Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloning HDD to SSHD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dezzanator

dezzanator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:40 AM

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 and all desired programs/documents etc onto a laptop hard drive. It seems however the hard drive is on its way out, and I've recently bought a SSHD drive to replace it with.

I was wondering if it's possible to just clone the old hard drive onto this one - given the new one is a hybrid drive, and whether or not the potential increase in bootup times associated with using a hybrid would still be possible by cloning, rather than installing from new.

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2015 - 03:44 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:28 AM

I just recently did the same thing to my desktop. I cloned the new SSHD, unplugged both old drives, replaced my old C drive with the new SSHD and everything fired up just fine. Then I shut it down, replaced the smaller old drive with the old C drive, which is now F drive, and all is good. But I do recommend backing up the important stuff on your old C drive before doing anything, just in case. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

http://www.seagate.com/do-more/laptop-sshd-upgrade-master-dm/

Looks pretty straightforward to me.

Louis

#4 dezzanator

dezzanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 23 November 2015 - 04:25 PM

Great, thanks for the answers guys. Looks as straightforward as I'd hoped - everything's already backed up so should be good to go :)

#5 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:30 AM

You can but since you are going to a new drive why not give your system a breath of fresh air and do a clean format?  A system never runs better than just after a clean install before you crap it all up ha ha.  

One piece of advice, make sure you go into your BIOS and change your SATA configuration from IDE to AHCI so that the proper drivers are installed during the install.  Your SSD will run slower if you leave it on IDE.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users