Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS M1330 - Random, Instant Shutdowns

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RyanNY

RyanNY

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:59 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble narrowing-down theories of probable cause for a sudden shutdown issue with a friend's Dell XPS M1330.

This is actually perfect timing as I am currently studying for my CompTIA A+ certification. If anyone more knowledgeable than I can give me a few hints or point me in the right direction to solve this problem on my own I would greatly appreciate it! Learn by doing right?

M1330 Specifications:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 / 1.5 GHz

RAM: 2 x 512mb DDR2

STORAGE: 320GB HDD

BIOS Revision A14

Problem:

• The computer will shutdown suddenly and completely.
  • Owner stated that this issue began sporadically, but has worsened recently.

My Observations:

• I ran 5 power-on trials with the PC and recorded the results to verify consistency of issue.
  • All trials successfully reached the BIOS screen and began loading Windows.
  • All trials showed the Startup Repair utility.
  • Whether the Startup Repair was launched or declined, the PC shutdown soon thereafter.
  • 4/5 trials ended in shutdown between 2m 20s and 3 minutes.
  • 1 trial reached the Check Disk screen at boot, but shutdown before completion.
  • In all trials, an increase in fan loudness/intensity was heard roughly 15 seconds prior to shutdown.

I Have Already Tried:

• Using a different, compatible AC adapter.
  • Removing the battery and booting without it.
  • Checking battery health and charge.
  • Reseating RAM & replacing with different, compatible sticks.

I'm going to check the HD next, and try to narrow it down further from there. If anyone has any tips they would be much appreciated!

Edited by RyanNY, 21 November 2015 - 09:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RyanNY

RyanNY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:20 AM

Update:

I booted up the PC, hit F12 for the boot menu, and chose "diagnostics" for the Pre-Boot System Assessment. The test gave me error code 2000-0146, which I understand is a hard drive related error-code. Any advice to troubleshoot further?

Further Update:

Solved! I finally opened the case and found the culprit: FEATHERS (probably from a down pillow) were sucked into the fan and were crammed on top of the HDD. I removed the core components, dusted, and reseated them. The next time I booted, the fan was nearly silent and I was able to load Windows and login.

Edited by RyanNY, 21 November 2015 - 09:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users