Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photos fail to open in windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thepokey

thepokey

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, haven't seen it with a quick search though.

I installed windows 10 about a week back and although its been having a lot of freezes, its otherwise run pretty smoothly, except for today. I haven't had this issue before today but now whenever I go to open a photo using the normal windows photo app i get an error saying "the remote procedure call failed" and it won't open.

I looked online for this and saw only a couple of people asked with some standard microsoft responses.. they noted these fixes:

Method 1:
I suggest you to run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
Follow the below steps:
1.       Type troubleshooting in the search bar. 
2.      Select Troubleshooting.
3.      Select View all on the top left corner.
4.      Click on Windows Store Apps.
5.      Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
If the issue persists then follow the below method.
Method 2:
I would recommend you to uninstall the Photo app using Windows PowerShell command and reinstall using Windows Store. Follow the below steps.
1.      Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.
2.      Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.
3.      Enter the below command to uninstall the Photo app.
               get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage
After performing the above steps, install the Photo app from the Windows Store.

I tried both of these. The first one didn't work as they found no problems to troubleshoot. The second one I couldn't do as the WindowsPowerShell wouldn't launch due to an error of its own. Couldn't find any other fixes.

Anyone come across this or know a way to fix? I've tried the standard restarting and all that etc .. so annoying!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

This sounds like system files have gotten corrupted.

The first thing I'd try doing is opening an elevated command prompt and running the SFC /SCANNOW command to see if it finds and fixes anything.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:39 AM

Ok gave that a shot, but it says I need to be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:47 AM

Ok gave that a shot, but it says I need to be an administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility?

Hence the reason I said elevated command prompt, which means after you have the command prompt icon showing from a windows search you right click on the command prompt icon and choose "Run as administrator."  That will let you use the SFC as the administrator.

I still hate the fact that even though a user is considered to be an administrator the command prompt (or power shell) doesn't run as administrator unless specifically instructed to do so.  But, this does prevent any of a number of accidents.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:05 AM

Ah sorry about that! As you can probably tell, I generally need to be stepped through things bit by bit .. computer knowledge isn't great!

Ok tried running it twice, it begins to verify and then each time it gets to 23% it says "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation"

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:35 PM

Then my next step would be to try a Reset installation of Windows 10.   If you have files and folders you want to keep you can use the "Keep my files and folders" Reset option or, if you don't, do a full Reset which is effectively a reinstallation of Windows 10.

Go to the "Update & Security" settings and then choose the Recovery option at the left side:

Attached File  Update&Security-Recovery2.jpg   75.28KB   1 downloads

Doing a reset will uninstall any Apps or application programs that you installed after initially installing Windows 10 and these will have to be installed again.

#7 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for that .. I ended up speaking to a microsoft rep in chat and we went through a bunch of potential fixes, none of them worked so in the end I just formatted the drive and reinstalled windows. It is working again now but who knows for how long. Would be frustrating to have to format every time the problem happens. Also frustating that others online seem to find fixes and when I follow them to the letter it doesn't work. Eh, oh well ... I think if it happens again I'll just find some kind of reputable 3rd party program that can be used to viewing photos.

Thanks again for your help

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

Well, there has never been a Microsoft Windows roll-out that was not characterized by the sorts of glitches that are characterizing this one, too.   Early adopters suffer the most.  There is a reason for the old observation, "bleeding edge technology."

Things will settle out.  The MS-Photos app is fairly robust, but it seems that Windows 10 installation is not.  I stopped using the MS-Photos app not because it didn't work, but because it takes forever to fire up when you double click on an image file "just to take a quick look."  There is no such thing as a "quick look" with MS-Photos.  I downloaded Irfanview and then tweaked my file associations such that all of the common image file types are opened by it.  I'm much happier with the result and it has the added bonus of putting me straight into a program that allows me to edit said image immediately if I want to do that.  It also has the capability of doing next or previous image in folder transitions from within the program.

I never tried this with GIMP, but that would be another option.  However, GIMP always took quite a while to load so it probably wouldn't suit my general purposes.

#9 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

That's true, although I've never quite had the problems I've had with a new windows as I have had with windows 10. This is only one of the issues, and probably the most minor. The most annoying has been Windows' refusal to recognise my iphone as a storage device. That one is becoming infuriating.

But either way, I'll see how I go with MS-Photos and if it happens again I'll just wear it and get a third party. I did try another program to see if it would open them and it did, although as you say, very slow.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

Just FYI, Irfanview is quite reputable and very fast at opening images.  I'd strongly suggest you consider it if speed is frequently of the essence.  That was the main reason I simply could not deal with the MS-Photos app since I am very often dealing with images.

#11 thepokey

thepokey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users