Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Keep A Web Site In My Tray

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:51 AM

Howdy,

I will try to explain my problem as clearly as I can. When I log on to the Internet my home page appears. If I than want to go to my favorites or Google up another site I have no trouble doing so. The problem arises when I want to keep a particular site down below in my tray so I can come back to it.

For instance Bleeping Computer is now showing down below. If I would like to go back to my home page I have to go to my favorites and double click on the site. Bleeping computer will then disappear from the tray.

How can I keep a site down below so I can keep switching back and forth if I want to ?

If I minimize a site than my screen will show all icons as if I never logged on to the Internet. I therefore have no access to any functions such as my favorites, Google, etc.... I therefore have to click on the site in the tray to get my screen back so I can use those functions.

I hope I am making some sort of sense. If I need to be more clear please let me know.

Thank You for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 05:50 AM

That is basically normal operation for browsers to do that, the links in the tray usually disappear when you go to another site.

What you might want that is easier and less cluttering is called, "Tabbed Browsing" and will be in Internet Explorer 7.0 when it is out of Beta, actually it is in the Beta right now. Firefox and also Opera have Tabbed browsing with some options that preserve your past browsing tabs quite nicely.

An info page for Firefox is below:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/central/

Firefox downloads are here:

http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the reply ThorXP. I will look at Firefox right now.

Thanks again,

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:45 AM

I have had a bad experience with IE 7.0 and would not recommend it, yet. But ThorXP is correct, it will have the tabbed feature.

One way you can accomplish what you are trying to do is simply open another window. So, while at, let's say, Bleeping Computer while using IE, go to:

File > New > Window

Then another window with Bleeping Computer in it will open. With this new window you can go to one of your other favorite sites and the original window with Bleeping Computer in it is still there for you, too!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:05 AM

In firefox you can have the option to open a new tab or a new window. The tabs make for a cleaner taskbar.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

Howdy Albert E. and akclan !

I followed your advice Albert E. and things came out out just like you said they would. :thumbsup:

acklan, I am looking at Firefox, but I am not sure if I can do without IE. ??

Thank You,

Dennis :flowers:

#7 PeterTheGreat

PeterTheGreat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

In IE click Extra/Options/Advanced

and then one of the last settings under SURFING is about reusing windows. If you take away that check, all sites will open in seperate windows.

I have the Dutch version of IE here, so I dont know the exact wording in your case.

Hope this will help you.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:29 PM

Also, ctrl-n opens up a new window in Internet Explorer or Firefox, and in Firefox, ctrl-t opens up a new tab.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

You can't do without IE. It is an integral part of Windows and you must use it to download updates from Windows or Micro9soft Update - but you can use Firefox as most of us here do for almost everything else (Anything that does not require Active X, which only IE has).

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:24 PM

Enthusiast is right about IE. I was referring to the options in FF. It has a feature that when you click a link you can have it replace the current page, open the link in a new FF browser window, or open the link in a new FF browser tab. I am at work or I would describe in the options where this feature resides. I like the link to open in a new browser tab. Personal taste.

By the way this is a milestone for me... "6000 Posts !" May all of you have as much fun as I am.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 12:26 AM

Just to throw a "monkey wrench" into the works. Firefox has 2 add-ons (called extensions in Firefox) that allow you to view Internet Explorer pages from within Firefox. They're called IETab and IEView - and you can get them by going to the extension section of the menu.

At times pages will look different when viewed in Firefox and IE - that's because of the differences in how they interpret the coding of web pages. Not a big deal - but awfully disconcerting if you're trying to do something and it won't let you!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:38 AM

Thanks to all for the replies !

acklan,
Congrats to you for the 6000 post milestone. No doubt you have helped a lot of folks along the way.

I think I will leave FireFox alone for awhile. I am concerned that if I download it I will somehow mess up my computer.

Thank You,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users