Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 different scanners are no longer communicating with laptop, deeper problem?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

Hi, Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm on a Dell XPS L702X laptop, running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit.

All of a sudden my 2 scanners can no longer connect to my laptop.  The only recent software update I've downloaded is an AVG update.

When one of the scanners wasn't connecting about 2 weeks ago, I ran a Microsoft Fix It (called "Hardware devices are not working or not detected in Windows"), and I thought that fixed the problem, as I was able to scan right after the Fix It.  I was able to scan as recently as 5 days ago.

But as of today, 2 scanners can no longer connect, and there must be a deeper problem, right?

Scanner 1 is a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 that connects via a USB cable (no wifi function).  The ScanSnap Manager message states: 
"Failed to communicate with the ScanSnap. (0x00000000)

Disconnect the cable then connect it again.  If the problem persists, contact your FUJITSU scanner dealer or an authorized FUJITSU scanner service provider."

Scanner 2 is a multi-function Brother printer, MFC-7860DW.  It usually connects either wirelessly or via USB.  I tried both.  The ControlCenter4 error message is:

"MFC=7860DW LAN cannot be found.

-If the device is OFF, turn ON the device.

-Check the I/F cable connection between the device and your computer.

-If the scanner is working with another application, cancel scanning or wait until the scan job finishes and try again.

(CC4-202-00000008)"

Needless to say, I have tried reconnecting the USB cables and restarting my computer.  No luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:16 AM

I can't say this will work but download USBdeview. If you have a 64bit OS then download the 64bit version. Run the program and remove any Scanner devices you see. Also any USB device you recognize that is no longer connected included flash drives. Hightlight the device and click on the red X. Do not remove anything related to keyboard, mouse, network, bluetooth, or printer. Reboot the computer and reattach one scanner and see if it gets detected.

I am not sure why both wireless and USB do not work though.

#3 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

Thank you.  I think I may have misstated the problem.  Both scanners are detected, but neither can communicate with the laptop.  For example, when I push scan on the Fujitsu (connected via USB), ScanSnap is initiated on the laptop, and the ScanSnap window pops up as if the scanner connection is working, then an error window pops up that says "Failed to communicate with the ScanSnap. (0x00000000)" etc.  

Sorry if I'm misusing these terms.  Some kind of initial handshake is occurring.  But then the connection is unable to complete.

Thank you.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:36 PM

Do these scanners work on another computer?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?  I would also uninstall and reinstall any drivers for the scanners. 

At an elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow to look for any missing or corrupt system files. Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator.

#5 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi, JohnC,

I will try to check to see if the scanners work on another computer.

There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager.

I was able to scan over 80 pages on the Fujitsu on Sunday, and just 5 days later, on Friday, the Fujitsu was no longer able to "communicate" with the laptop.  It was then that I tried the Brother multi-function, and experienced the same problem.  I know the Brother was scanning as recently as 2-3 weeks ago.

I will try reinstalling drivers.

I typed in sfc / scannow, but I don't have the tech know-how to understand the message it generated, and I was unable to copy and paste it for you.  

Thank you.

Edited by rleeinlosangeles, 21 November 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

Did sfc /scannow report any errors? I will be out of a bit.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

First suspect is the USB cable.  Damaged cable ends can and often do damage the ports on a PC or LT.  Hanging cables get yanked and jammed, damaging the cable ends and the ports on both devices.  Further use of damaged cable can damage other ports, resulting in a bunch of broken USB ports on multiple devices.

#8 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:45 PM

Hi again, JohnC,

These are the steps I've taken today.  I uninstalled AVG and installed Avira in its place.

I was disappointed to see that the scanners are still not working.

The sfc /scannow from the Administrator Command Prompt, yielded:  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the Fujitsu ScanSnap software.  I've tried to reinstall by inserting the CD-ROM, but oddly, the CD-ROM doesn't seem to be recognized, and the laptop ejects the CD after some idle spinning.  That is a first and totally unexpected.  I then tried to reinstall by downloading the software from Fujitsu (http://www.fujitsu.c...00w-setup.html).  The setup.exe seems to work, but at the end of the install, ScanSnap Manager is not installed, even after restarting.  There is no error message - the install seems to have never happened.

Am I in for a Windows 7 reinstall?  Thank you.

Edited by rleeinlosangeles, 21 November 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#9 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

Hi mjd440nova,

I will try to test another USB cable.  I hope it's that simple.  Having both scanner USB cables fail within a week of each other as the culprit would be just my luck.  Thank you.

Edited by rleeinlosangeles, 21 November 2015 - 05:50 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:57 PM

A reinstall would be a last resort. Have you tried attaching a USB flash drive to the ports or the computer. Is the flash drive detected?

Edit: Do you have the option to do a System Restore to a date before the problem occurred? Any files on the desktop should be copied to My Documents before doing the System Restore.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 November 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#11 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

Hi JohnC,

Yes, I just inserted a SanDisk USB flash drive, and it was detected.  Thank you.

#12 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

Hi JohnC,

Unfortunately, the computer did not detect a prior System Restore point.  I was crushed!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

Go to the following folder. 

C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack

Are the dates of the files shown before the problem occurred?

Did you try attaching a USB flash drive to your ports?

#14 rleeinlosangeles

rleeinlosangeles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi JohnC,

Thank you.  Yes and yes.

I inserted a SanDisk USB flash drive, and it was detected instantly.

Yes, the C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack files dates are dated October 15, while the problem started this week in November.

Thank you.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

You can try the following but you will need to use a linux live disk in order do the following outside of Windows. 

Download Partition Wizard here. Burn the iso and boot Parted Magic. You can burn to disk in Windows 7 by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. Using the File Manager browse to the following folder

C:\Windows\System32\config

In that folder are five Registry Hives 

SAM

SOFTWARE

SECURITY

SYSTEM

Rename those files by right clicking each and selecting Rename

SAM to SAM.BAK

SOFTWARE to SOFTWARE.BAK

SECURITY to SECURITY.BAK

DEFAULT to DEFAULT.BAK

SYSTEM to SYSTEM.BAK

Copy the 5 files from the Regback folder to the config folder.  Exit Parted Magic and reboot the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users