Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall - Some exceptions I'm not sure of.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Eorlingas

Eorlingas

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:45 PM

Hello.

I freshly installed Windows 8.1 on a new build about a week ago. Installed Steam, Chrome, Malwarebytes, and Skype, pretty much the only internet-accessing programs I have. My motherboard came with a "Killer Networking" function for Ethernet, but I do not use it and instead use its Intel Ethernet functionality.

I was looking through my Firewall settings today and noticed a few listings I'd not seen on my last 8.1 build (though I never really looked through my Firewall settings on it, to be fair). They were:

CheckPoint.VPN

f5.vpn.client

JuniperNetworks.JunosPulseVPN

I've never seen or heard of these before today. I've never used any VPN software. Searching for these on Google (they were apparently common searches) revealed little information. Some links to Microsoft downloads, a few forum discussions. According to one person, they were related to Microsoft Apps on Windows 8/8.1 and were not harmful. According to another they should only be present if you've used VPN software - if not, something might be up. Another person on another forum gave advice to all users to block them on their Firewalls as "beneficial security tweaks." I've blocked them for the time being.

I did figure out that "Killer Networking" has a process open, which might be causing it, but I'm not sure. Computer's clean, with Malwarebytes and my AV reporting nothing malicious.

Are these exceptions normal, or should I be concerned?

Edited by Eorlingas, 20 November 2015 - 08:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

Hi Eorlingas :)

It seems that these are default entries in the Windows Firewall. Refer to the thread below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7ff33b07-f366-43f5-b0b2-fdc1d6150b88/security-issues-with-81-pro

Also, CheckPoint, F5 Networks and Juniper Networks are all legitimate network-related companies :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Eorlingas

Eorlingas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:56 PM

Hi Eorlingas :)

It seems that these are default entries in the Windows Firewall. Refer to the thread below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/7ff33b07-f366-43f5-b0b2-fdc1d6150b88/security-issues-with-81-pro

Also, CheckPoint, F5 Networks and Juniper Networks are all legitimate network-related companies :)

Thank you very much, Aura!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:58 PM

No problem Eorlingas, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users