Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable the BOOT properties from a SCSI drive to extract my files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 semicodin

semicodin

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

I’m trying to extract files stored on an old SCSI drive that was my BOOT drive -- save them to a SATA drive -- zero fill the SCSI (wipe it clean) -- and proceed to install (my same) XP PRO license on a new Asrock SATA 3 drive.  What complicates things is I no longer have the SCSI motherboard, and am plugging the drive into a 68-Pin SCSI >Adaptec Card to access the drive.  I was completely unprepared to see my old drive booting off a card!  Gotta love Adaptec, eh?  The SCSI drive is happy to see itself (even if on a card) but enters an endless loop.

Whether I perform this extraction task before installing the new SATA build, or after, at some point I'm going to need to disable Adaptec from cutting to the front of the line and overriding the boot sequence I set up in Asrock's BIOS [#1 SATA, #2 DVD] so I can install my same XP Pro license on the new SATA build. I’d like to nip this in the bud first, if possible. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:15 PM

Booting from the Adaptec card would indicate it has it's own BIOS. I am not familiar with the card but can you access the BIOS on the Adaptec card?

There is a couple of ways to go about this. I think one would be to burn the iso of the bootable Partition Wizard and mark the System Partition as "Not Active". This would prevent the drive from booting. A similar tool is Gparted Live Cd. You need to select your device in the dropdown box in the upper right and then select your partition > Manage Flags > uncheck the boot flag.

http://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fname%3Dhelp-manual#gparted-manage-partition-flags

Gparted-to-edit-partition-flags.png

If partition wizard or Gparted does not work you can try the following.

Boot a linux live disk. Hopefully it detects your SCSI card and then you copy your files over to an external or the SATA drive. I would use the latest distro of Mint or Ubuntu. That would most likely have the SATA drivers. A smaller download that may see the scsi drive is Fatdog64. The file manager works a little differently than Mint or Ubuntu. If you can see your SCSI drive with Fatdog I can give you instruction on how to copy to an external drive. In Fatdog your disks on in the lower left of the desktop. Clicking once on the disk will mount and open a File Manager.

#3 semicodin

semicodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hey John, nice links, thanks.  I actually have Symantec's Partition Magic, but for some inexplicable reason it won't boot! Even when I force a boot from Asrock's powerful F11 UEFI utility.  Stranger yet, I can't get it to make nice with my SATA install even with the SCSI drive detached!  Reset CMOS? indeed; no joy.  I'm going to approach this from the Adaptec card angle, which your comment viz its own BIOS inspired and report back.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

You will never get a regular boot disk to boot on a UEFI computer. I am pretty sure that bootable Partition wizard boots UEFI. Using Rufus with an iso should work on UEFI as that Rufus UEFI compatible otherwise you need to enable Legacy or CSM boot and disable SecureBoot in order to get Partition Magic to work. Partition Magic is old. I would definitely recommend using Partition Wizard or Gparted instead if you ever do partition managment. 

Hopefully you can disable a setting in the Adaptec's card BIOS.

#5 semicodin

semicodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:06 PM

Wow John, that's deep. :idea: Thanks!

I was able to troubleshoot the SCSI drive, and where I'm at currently is recovering two IDE drives whose partitions I fk'd up and gave them a sex change: they're stuck in some form of Fat mode, and XP reports "drive is unformatted, would you like to ~".  This is my first time trying to recover a drive's MBR and restore its NTFS format.  I've been exploring open source utilities and that's why I showed up on BC to get some guidance.  I'm going to try a program made by MiniTools called Partition Wiz~ . . . oh wait, you were recommending that? Great minds think alike heh.  I need to rip their ISO which I just downloaded.  Got any tips for me? And thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users