Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Cleanup By Steven Gould

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:23 AM

I am using a programme called Windows Cleanup by Steven Gould, Version 4.5 ( http://cleanup.stevengould.org ) and on one of the options it gives is …
Scan drives for files matching ………as below

~*.*
*.*~
*.bak
*.chk
*.tmp
index.dat

If I then tick the yes scan box …... this warning comes on screen…..

This Option performs a complete scan of all your local drives looking for temporary files matching the patterns defined in the text field above
It’s your responsibility to verify the entries here for your setup before running cleanup! If in doubt, do not use this option.

I’ve used this cleanup programme (without ticking the above option) running it 202 times and its deleted …. 182576 …. Files and
Bytes freed are …. 3.4GB. but ive never ticked the Scan drives for files matching option (as shown above)

Can any forum members offer me some advice about the above Scan drives for files matching Files option …? I am not sure about ticking yes to this option..? And what problems it would get this computer newbie into!!!!

Thanks ....Mypenry

Thanks ………….

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

Mypenry:

I can think of two problems that could occur:

.tmp is the extension for temporary files. Some programs put part of their programs into temporary files upon download unless you specify otherwise. If these are deleted, your programs won't work. Windows Installer is one program notorious for putting some of its files into temp folders without asking. Also, some temp folders are essential to the operation of the system.

.bak is the extension, I believe, for backup files. Let's say that you changed something and it didn't work out right. With the backup files there, you can retrieve the earlier version especially if you use system restore. However, if the backup files are gone, not even system restore will be able to return your system completely to a previous state.

I personally wouldn't do this without expert guidance.

Be cautious and safe,

Orange Blossom
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

HI Orange Blossom and thanks again for your time to post to me, as all ways sound advice

and I will leave things alone now ..

Tahnks again ..... Mypenry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users