Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checklist for a great overall security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RomainGE

RomainGE

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:28 PM

Good morning everyone ! 

After looking at many threads on the forum, articles on many websites and a lot of video on Youtube, I was wondering if you had kind of a "checklist" to be sure that your overall digital security is alright ?

I'm currently switching from Mac to PC and I'm taking the opportunity to make a lot of improvements regarding my personal digital security and I thought you may had some more ideas to do this right .... !  :thumbup2:

So, What I've done so far is :

-Installing Windows 10 pro and turn off some of the privacy settings that are enabled by default
-Installing bitdefender 2016

-Installing Malwarebyte (free version)

-Creating a bitlocker space for my sensible data

-Using a VPN for my computer + my smartphone (private internet acces, it slows down my connexion but I don't know what would be a good affordable alternative)
-Changing all my passwords for websites/e-mail/... accessibility in order to have a different each time (because I had one password for a lot of thing, and it's like super bad I know ... :nono: ).
-I've enabled 2-step security each time it was available.

-I've got a main hard drive + a backup drive (backed up by the windows integrated backup program) + a subscription to crashplan as a 2nd backup

-I never download/instal cracked version of games or applications

-I use adblock + HTTPS everywhere as plugins on Google Chrome

-I currently use a iPhone and I've read that they are now automatically encrypted, but since I'm considering to move to android pretty soon I think I'll need a smartphone encryption software (I guess .. ?).

SO, my main question is actually : What would you advise to do in supplement to increase my security level a bit more (if it's possible/needed) ?

I know that any system is hackable anyway (the FBI got intruders so I guess some pros could hack me pretty easily), but the goal is to have a secure computer at a "common level" and being too much of a pain in the a** for a low-mid level pirate who would want to get into my bank account/steal my private datas.

Thank you per advance,

Rom.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:58 PM

My first step with any new system, mine or a clients, is to download any and all offerings by the ISP for security, often a whole suite of programs to help with pop ups, cookies, anti-virus,  malware, firewall, etc.  Do a weekly routine of disk cleanup, scan for faults with the suites offerings and once clean, backup the system.  I was totally surprised at the stuff Norton found with just a clean install and updates from M$.  Every program has the potential for exploitation.  If you wish to learn what programs and system functions are passing over your internet connection, I like to use the free offering of ZoneAlarm.  It will prompt you for every function that has to pass through to and from the internet.  Once they are all identified and given the proper permissions, it becomes a silent scanner for all internet traffic on that machine and warns of anything outside trying to get in or any programs that you haven't given permission to yet will pop up and ask.  Lets you know when the program you installed or downloaded is trying to call home.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.The best defensive strategy is a comprehensive approach...make sure you are running an updated anti-virus and anti-malware product, use supplemental security tools with anti-exploitation features capable of stopping (preventing) infection before it can cause any damage, update all vulnerable software and routinely backup your data. You should also rely on behavior detection programs rather then standard anti-virus definition (signature) detection software only. This means using programs that can detect when malware is in the act of modifying/encrypting files rather than just detecting the malicious file itself which in most cases is not immediately detected by anti-virus software.

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing. Sounds like you are doing just that.

Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone can have.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

I completely agree, getting the average user to even run a scan of any type is tough.  But having some good programs running in the background can only help and make any one looking to do some nefarious deeds, look for bigger targets to exploit.   Best practices is for those who are AWARE, most my clients are not and have no wish to learn and launch maintenance routines.  I tried with a few to set everything on an automatic schedule and only resulted in a trouble call when it seemed to take longer to boot.  A lousy extra twenty seconds and they are ready to dump it. 

#5 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:36 AM

Backing up your data and disk imaging are among the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regular basis, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

+1

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users