Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't boot up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 budz78

budz78

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 system that will not boot up. I think I made the mistake of checking the safeboot in the System Confifuration Utility. Now it seems to initiate the startup then just stops, the hard drive stays running but goes nowhere, I have no screen. I tried a installation disk that came with it but no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 budz78

budz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

The original Operating System Reinstallation CD does not work. It runs when started then stops and nothing happens. Is there anyway to get my machine on. I only need it to retrive important files to transfer to a new one. Thanks

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:30 PM

You can remove the disk and attach it to another computer using an external enclosure, USB adapter, or internally to another computer that has available IDE or SATA port depending on what interface the HDD is.

You can also boot a disk like Hirens, access MiniXP from the menu and copy files to a USB flash or external drive. You can download the Hirens iso here and burn to a disk using Windows 7 by right clicking the iso image and selecting Burn Disk Image or by using a program like Imgburn to burn the image to disk. The USB flash or external drive needs to be attached before you boot Hirens or it will not be detected.

#4 sAyer

sAyer

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

The original Operating System Reinstallation CD does not work. It runs when started then stops and nothing happens. Is there anyway to get my machine on. I only need it to retrive important files to transfer to a new one. Thanks

Use Puppy Linux to recover your files. If all else fails. Either on disk or usb drive. https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

#5 budz78

budz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:33 PM

Thanks guys I will look into these. Do I understand this will only retrieve the files I need not restart my computer, which is all right.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:54 PM

You will need to reboot the computer. The boot disks are basically an OS on a disk to retrieve your files. If the computer does not boot then you will need to pull the drive and attach it to another computer.

#7 budz78

budz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:36 PM

Since the boot up disk doesn't work. I'll  try pulling it out and see if I can find a USB connection of some sort to connect to my laptop

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

If the computer can boot USB you can create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus and an iso file. What program did you use to create the bootable disk? I don't know how much experience you have with burning isos but one needs to burn the iso image so after the burn you will have a number of files on the disk instead of one iso file.

For a Dell tapping F12 at boot should bring up a boot menu that will let you select the boot device. 

#9 budz78

budz78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

The bootable disk was the Operating System Reinstallation CD the one that came with the computer . When I start it up with the disk installed the machine starts, I get the hard drive running light,

the CD starts running, it runs for about 5-10 sec. then everything just sits there. The power light is the only thing on, no monitor or any activity.  I have never burned an .iso so I'm not to familiar

with that. I think when I selected safestart in the System Config. when F8 reboot didn't work was my downfall.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

I linked to Imgburn in my post #3. It explains on how to burn an iso. If you are on Windows 7 or later you can burn an iso by right clicking the file and selecting Burn Disk Image. 

If you have an available USB flash drive you can use Rufus. For Rufus make sure your flash drive is detected. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Make sure Quick Format is checked. Where you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown box. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso you downloaded of Hirens or Puppy Linux. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted. 

Attach the flash drive. Boot the computer while tapping F12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users