Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Posting logs in open forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

Is it really a good idea to have people seeking help to post logs in open forum so that anyone can read them. I am just a regular member and I can open and read every one.

Most of these logs are a blue print to the posters system that could be used against them.

I hate to mention it cause I do not know what it would take to fix it.

Maybe a secured link to a different page that only the helpers can open, password protected or something.

One of the first rules of warfare is know your enemy, infiltrate eyes and ears in the enemy camp.

The thing about eyes and ears is they remain eyes and ears simply watching and reporting to others.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

Most of the information contained in these logs aren't of any value for anyone. The only sensible part if you ask me is the logs that contains sections where files and folders are listed (as part of "One Month Old Created Files/Folders" or else). Sometimes, a user will request these parts of the logs to be removed, or send them via PM to the helper. However, these sections contains relevant information for the helper, and holding back that information can make it harder for the helper to clean the user's system or identify the infection.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

While I know most of this info is needed by the helpers but since anyone can read them and glean such info as IP addresses even MAC address and any hacker worth his salt can use this to launch an outside attack, many also show the security programs used so the intruder would know what work around to develop.

That is what I am getting at and there are certainly enough people here with the necessary skills to do so if they wanted to.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

While we appreciate your concerns. Nothing in the logs is of any value to would be 'hackers' intent on doing someone harm. Persons knowledgeable enough to create an attack of any significance would not need any information in the logs. Bleeping Computer has been in existence for close to 11 years. We have always operated this way and maintained our first priority is our members safety and security. The management of this forum would not put in place a process that would reveal any personally identifiable information.

As has been said the information created by the logs is necessary for those Malware Removal Team members to provide the service. The service is free of charge. While the suggestion you make would be a viable alternative, it would be impossible to implement and manage while maintaining a free service.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

That was one of the reasons I delayed so long in mentioning it. I could think of no easy way to do it or if it was even possible with the site hosts software.  I been chewing on this for 3 months and just decided to mention it anyway.

Granted a hacker would not need this info but would certainly make it easier to design a exploit than from scratch alone.

Ok said my piece best I can do.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

I think we would have heard of it after 11 years if hackers were really using information from public logs to plan their attacks. Also, targetted attacks are usually against high-value targets, not your typical home user :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:02 PM

Not to mention, most if not all UNITE member sites use the same process. So it's a well accepted method of offering free Malware Removal help.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users