Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on fresh install xp

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Robbie7712

Robbie7712

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

Hi,

I needed to reinstall XP Home on my Toshiba Satellite A100-225.  It was running slow.  Wiped the HD --put in the XP Home Install CD. followed everything incl. formatting.  Install first phase went smoothly,--the reboot produced a BSOD with following:

STOP: C0000221{Bad Image Checksum}

The Image CRYPTUI.dll is possibly corrupt.

The header Checksum does not match the computed Checksum.

I re-installed again, thinking there was a glitch on the install, but it produced same BSOD/Message.

Thinking maybe the CD was damaged --I tried to install XP Pro --same BSOD:

Then decided to change Harddrive---No difference--both Home and Pro same BSOD.!

Looking on 'net for ideas, I saw an entry that maybe the CMOS was the fault--dead--the Notebook is pretty old and I got it second hand 4 yrs ago--been a good servant.   A local Service shop wouldn't touch it---CMOS is soldered direct onto mainboard.  However, I opened the Notebook following an online video,--desoldered the CMOS no problem, and ordered a replacement.  Checked the old one for voltage---2.9v for a 3v battery isn't bad, and it's a rechargeable battery! Would that cause the BSOD?

The CD/DVD Drive has never given any problems.

If anyone can throw some light on this and where I go from here, I would be very grateful, because I just don't see why this should be happening---I've reinstalled using these 2 CDs a few times and never had anything like this happen before.  many thanks

Robbie

I originally posted this in BSOD'S W10 forum--sorry.

Update---

I did remove the CMOS Battery, and have soldered the replacement onto the mainboard.

Reassembled the Notebook, did a fresh install.  This was successful.  Flashed the BIOS to the latest version.  Successfully.  Apart from a problem finding 2 drivers, the Notebook is up and running. 

I am NOT sure that the CMOS was the problem though. I checked everything over before the latest reinstall, CD Drive, Install CD cleaned. 

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 November 2015 - 04:11 AM.
Moved to internal hardware. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users