Some time ago I started to use Free AVG and was so impressed with it that I signed up for the paid version which I'm sure allowed cover for my Desktop and Laptop computer. When it came to renewal I found that there was then a charge for the Laptop so I stopped using the paid for version of AVG and went back to the Free version. At the same time I found that I was not covered for protection from Malware so I signed up for the free version of Ant Malware.
My free AVG and free Anti Malware are about to run out so I want to set cover up as soon as possible and I have read good reports on Bitdefender but I have not looked at it yet so here is the question.
I need cover against attacks from Viruses and Malware and would prefer to use just one piece of software so does anyone know if AVG, Malwarebytes or Bitdefender offers such a menu and if so does anyone have a preference obviously with cost in mind.
For the record:
- MBAM is not an anti-virus (AV) and does not replace or substitute for one (it is designed to provide complementary, layered protection alongside an AV, against certain zero-hour and zero-day threats not covered by the AVs).
- MBAM Free does NOT provide any realtime protection -- it is only a manual, on-demand scanner that REMOVES malware that has already made it past your AV onto the system
- If you want real-time anti-malware protection to help PREVENT infection, you would need to purchase a license for MBAM Premium.
- But, even with MBAM Premium, you still need a robust, realtime AV.
- An additional layer can be provided by anti-exploit software, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. While MBAM and your AV protect against the "what" of malware, MBAE protects against the "how", by shielding vulnerable, internet-facing applications.
As far as the "best" AV, there is no such thing to suit all computers, all users and all budgets.
Each product has advantages/disadvantages and fans/detractors.
10 computer users will offer at least 11 passionate opinions on the subject.
This question has been asked here and at other fora millions of times.
For comprehensive, authoritative discussion about all aspects of personal computer security, including AV selection, you might wish to check out these excellent and detailed pinned topics: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices
Edited by MoxieMomma, 20 November 2015 - 07:43 AM.