Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am looking for advice on what Antivirus and Antimalware to use.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Balliol

Balliol

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:49 AM

Some time ago I started to use Free AVG and was so impressed with it that I signed up for the paid version which I'm sure allowed cover for my Desktop and Laptop computer.  When it came to renewal I found that there was then a charge for the Laptop so I stopped using the paid for version of AVG and went back to the Free version.  At the same time I found that I was not covered for protection from Malware so I signed up for the free version of Ant Malware.

My free AVG and free Anti Malware are about to run out so I want to set cover up as soon as possible and I have read good reports on Bitdefender but I have not looked at it yet so here is the question.

I need cover against attacks from Viruses and Malware and would prefer to use just one piece of software so does anyone know if AVG, Malwarebytes or Bitdefender offers such a menu and if so does anyone have a preference obviously with cost in mind. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

Hi:

You wrote:

Some time ago I started to use Free AVG and was so impressed with it that I signed up for the paid version which I'm sure allowed cover for my Desktop and Laptop computer.  When it came to renewal I found that there was then a charge for the Laptop so I stopped using the paid for version of AVG and went back to the Free version.  At the same time I found that I was not covered for protection from Malware so I signed up for the free version of Ant Malware.

My free AVG and free Anti Malware are about to run out so I want to set cover up as soon as possible and I have read good reports on Bitdefender but I have not looked at it yet so here is the question.

I need cover against attacks from Viruses and Malware and would prefer to use just one piece of software so does anyone know if AVG, Malwarebytes or Bitdefender offers such a menu and if so does anyone have a preference obviously with cost in mind. 

For the record:

• MBAM is not an anti-virus (AV) and does not replace or substitute for one (it is designed to provide complementary, layered protection alongside an AV, against certain zero-hour and zero-day threats not covered by the AVs).
  • MBAM Free does NOT provide any realtime protection -- it is only a manual, on-demand scanner that REMOVES malware that has already made it past your AV onto the system
    • If you want real-time anti-malware protection to help PREVENT infection, you would need to purchase a license for MBAM Premium.
    • But, even with MBAM Premium, you still need a robust, realtime AV.
  • An additional layer can be provided by anti-exploit software, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. While MBAM and your AV protect against the "what" of malware, MBAE protects against the "how", by shielding vulnerable, internet-facing applications.

As far as the "best" AV, there is no such thing to suit all computers, all users and all budgets.

Each product has advantages/disadvantages and fans/detractors.

10 computer users will offer at least 11 passionate opinions on the subject. :wink:

This question has been asked here and at other fora millions of times. :)

For comprehensive, authoritative discussion about all aspects of personal computer security, including AV selection, you might wish to check out these excellent and detailed pinned topics: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 20 November 2015 - 07:43 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

An offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version...see  ad-supported software.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-up ads annoy you that much.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free.

Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:

Here are links to BC polls:

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:07 AM

I would recommend ESET Nod32 AV, Quietman recommended it to me and it works great, upgrades every hour, doesn't slow your computer down,(Thanks Quietman)

Jim

PS- Plus I am using Super Anti Spyware for my malware, spyware protection.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#5 Balliol

Balliol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:08 AM

So far I have loaded Emsisoft Anti-Malware as recomended by quietman and intend to load his other recommendation,  ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus as soon as I can summon up the courage.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:49 AM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware used to be compatible with other AVs, but recently they no longer recommending it (although right now EAM can still be used with other AVs). I would use only EAM as it already provides excellent AV and AM protection.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:28 PM

More specifically...

Are Emsisoft products fully compatible with other security products? (November 2014)

Yes and No

Emsisoft products were originally designed to complement antivirus and firewall software. Today this is no longer the case, with Emsisoft now providing a full replacement for any antivirus and/or firewall software.

As such, some of Emsisoft's protection modules are not compatible with other antivirus software. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete anti-malware and anti-virus solution and offers solid protection. Emsisoft Internet Security also includes these features, but with the addition of a firewall for comprehensive protection of your computer.

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:57 AM

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/19162-could-eam-still-be-used-as-a-companion-antivirus/?p=141511

The thing with compatibility is that it outright blocks a whole bunch of features we would like to add. That is why we no longer recommend using EAM alongside any other AV software. At the moment we are still compatible with pretty much all of them and if we can easily work around a conflict we will still do so. However, we no longer consider a degradation of compatibility a blocker for new features.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

Fabian is the go to man. :thumbup2:

#10 Balliol

Balliol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

Bit late in the day maybe 23.23 in England but I don't understand your reply quietman.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:50 PM

Alexstrasza posted a quote from Fabian Wosar, Authorized Emsisoft Representative, a Security Colleague of ours who helps us out from time to time, especially with crypto ransomware infections.

Since Fabian works for Emsisoft, I acknowledged he is our go to guy.

#12 Tithi

Tithi

• Banned Spammer
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:31 PM

The main problem with free Anti virus is that they are available for limited period of time. I had used Microsoft security essential and it works perfectly. But I faced problem with shortcut virus.  I used SafeBytes Anti-virus to remove those shortcut viruses and It worked. So you may take a look on this SafeBytes Anti-virus.

#13 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

The main problem with free Anti virus is that they are available for limited period of time. I had used Microsoft security essential and it works perfectly. But I faced problem with shortcut virus.  I used SafeBytes Anti-virus to remove those shortcut viruses and It worked. So you may take a look on this SafeBytes Anti-virus.

free for life:

- Avast antivirus Free

- Avira Free

- if you are on Win8-10 , the integrated Windows Defender (aka MSE) is good enough for normal usage

Emsisoft Community Manager

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:16 AM

The main problem with free Anti virus is that they are available for limited period of time...

I explained the main problem with free software in Post #3.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:33 PM

I used SafeBytes Anti-virus to remove those shortcut viruses and It worked. So you may take a look on this SafeBytes Anti-virus.

I just discovered this topic and the post by Tithi.

For anyone who reads this topic and that post:

SafeBytes also has another product called Total System Care.

What I found about TotalSystemCare (I picked the site with the best explanation)

http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-total-system-care  NOTE THIS IS FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. Do not use the guide to remove it if you have this product. Instead, start a topic in Am I Infected.

Total System Care is a program that is supposed to work as a computer optimizer, however, it has some questionable features and it doesn’t fulfill its promises. Besides, it is distributed using unfair methods and this allows to categorize the program as a potentially unwanted one. Total System Care claims to clear your computer from outdated registry entries and various useless files. It scans your system for free but once you try to fix the issues, the program will state that you must purchase its license in order to continue.

It was noticed that the scan results are not really reliable, as they include non-existent problems or recommend removing items that cause no harm to your PC.

Basically another snake oil program. Causes the user to panic and purchase in order to "clean" the computer.

If you are thinking of using SafeBytes Anti-Virus ask yourself  "why should I use a product from a company that has another iffy product?".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users