Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

That Darn Mouse!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RAB1

RAB1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:31 AM

As a newbie to this site, I hope I'm not placing this in a forum where it doesn't belong. My difficulty is not due to malware, viruses or any such thing. I've recently installed Win 7 for the first time and, after tweaking, it's been doing fine.

However ... the wireless Logitech mouse that I used on my old XP system is now somewhat unstable. Simply put, it works but doesn't scroll side-to-side or up-and-down without occasionally hesitating then jumping forward. I've searched high and low for a simple solution and have tried a couple of fixes folks suggested that made no difference. (i.e. changing the mouse scroll from 3 to 4 lines).

This is far from a major calamity, to be sure, but it IS exasperating.

Since I went ahead and ran DDS, I'm posting the log per the instructions. If there's something that can be adjusted to create a more cooperative mouse, I'd be grateful if you'd identify it. As well, the log correctly notes that several Windows security updates failed to install. Perhaps that can be addressed as well?

In any event, I sincerely appreciate any efforts made on my behalf. My thanks in advance.

= Richard =

As there are no malware or virus issues, the DDS log has been removed so you can receive assistance in a more appropriate forum. ~ OB

Edited by Orange Blossom, 20 November 2015 - 03:46 AM.
DDS log removed and moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:00 AM

How many lines do you scroll usually? Does it do it in all browsers? Adjust scroll wheel to 3 lines and turn vertical down to 1. I know browser have a mouse setting in tools and advanced to smooth out scrolling. You coudl try toggling those. Throw in some fresh batteries, maybe put the mouse dongle on a different usb port.

Edited by technonymous, 20 November 2015 - 04:01 AM.

#3 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:16 AM

Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if the mouse is compatible with Windows 7?  I'm guessing your mouse is fairly well used, which also may have something to do with it, but the 1st place I'd check is with the manufacturer if I were you.  

Sometimes what works in 1 OS won't work in another.  

After all, Windows XP came out in what, 2002?  Windows 7 is only a few years old, and in between the 2 there was the gongshow known as Windows Vista.  So the gap is release dates is ~ 10 years old.  Lots of stuff can change during that time.  

Also, could be an update or a patch or something to make it compatible.  The manufacturer knows better than anyone.   

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Have you looked to see if there is a newer driver available for the mouse?

After you installed Windows 7 did you download and install all of the drivers for that specific computer from the manufacturer's website?

Please post the model of this Logitech mouse.

Edited by dc3, 20 November 2015 - 11:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RAB1

RAB1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:47 AM

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but ... turns out one of the drivers was indeed corrupt. By updating, it seems to have made the difference as my wireless mouse is now far friendlier and less hesitant. Not saying it's 100 percent for at least a few days yet, but assuming it continues working as well as it has since the change, I'd say I'm good to go. 

It's comforting to know there are knowledgeable and capable computer techs that offer their expertise quickly and willingly. No doubt, the day will arrive when I come back to once again test you . 

= Richard =

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users